If you were injured in a bicycle accident in Lafayette, Louisiana, you might be able to hold the at-fault party responsible for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and other losses.
However, you must first prove your case, including liability and the value of your damages. That’s often difficult to do when you’re stressed and suffering from painful injuries.
A Lafayette bicycle accident lawyer at Kenny Habetz Injury Law will handle your case from start to finish while you focus on your health and recovery.
We have over a decade of experience helping personal injury victims throughout southern Louisiana secure full compensation for their losses. We also have proven track record of success representing accident victims in cases involving car accidents, Lafeyette truck accidents, wrongful death claims, Lafayette motorcycle injuries, brain injury cases, and more
To learn how we can help you after a bicycle crash in Lafayette, LA, contact our law firm at (337) 399-9000. We offer a free consultation to listen to what happened in your bike accident and explain your legal options.
How Kenny Habetz Injury Law Can Help After a Bicycle Accident in Lafayette, LA
Cycling is a great way to get from one place to another, but there are always risks involved. Even if you wear appropriate safety gear and ride defensively, you cannot control the actions of other motorists.
If you’re suffering from bike accident-related injuries caused by someone else, we will work diligently to hold them accountable for your losses.
When you hire a Lafayette personal injury lawyer from Kenny Habetz Injury Law to handle your bicycle accident case, we’ll:
- Consistently communicate with you, explain your rights, and help you navigate the process
- Investigate to determine how the accident happened and who shares liability
- Gather evidence and consult experts (if necessary) to prove the elements of your claim
- Negotiate with insurance companies and others for a fair settlement that fully compensates you
- Protect you from attempts to undervalue or deny your claim
- File a lawsuit and represent you in court in Lafayette Parish if it’s in your best interest
To learn more about our services and the benefits of creating an attorney-client relationship, contact our law office for a free legal consultation.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in Louisiana?
According to a recent report, Louisiana ranked as the fourth most dangerous state for cyclists and third for the highest bicyclist fatalities per capita. This was based on NHTSA data from 2018 and 2019 and mileage data.
Here is recent Louisiana bicycle accident data from the Center for Analytics and Research in Transportation Safety (CARTS):
- 2018: 864 bicycle crashes caused 669 injuries and 30 fatalities
- 2019: 920 bicycle crashes caused 728 injuries and 22 fatalities
- 2020: 735 bicycle crashes caused 573 injuries and 34 fatalities
- 2021: 645 bicycle crashes caused 541 injuries and 35 fatalities
While the number of statewide bicycle crashes has decreased over the years, the number of fatalities has increased. In 2018, the fatality rate was around 3.5%, but it rose to 5.4% in 2021.
What Causes Most Bicycle Accidents in Lafayette, LA?
The majority of bicycle crashes occur due to negligence, whether it’s carelessness on the part of a driver or cyclist.
Some of the most common causes of traffic accidents involving bicycles in Louisiana include:
- Distracted drivers and bicyclists
- Cycling or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Careless operation
- Failure to maintain lane
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Following too closely or not allowing bicyclists enough space to ride
- Disregarding traffic signs and lights
- Improper passing and turns
- Exceeding safe speeds (speeding)
- Reckless or aggressive driving
- Lack of bike lanes or infrastructure
- Hazardous road conditions
- Defective auto or bike parts
You may not know what caused your bike collision, and that’s okay. We’ll investigate all aspects of your accident to determine how it happened, whether it could’ve been avoided, and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Is the Value of My Lafayette Bicycle Accident Claim?
All bicycle crashes present a new set of facts. The injuries sustained by one cyclist in an accident may differ from the harm suffered by another depending on the cyclist’s health, the speed at impact, and other factors.
Accordingly, the value of your case will depend on your specific circumstances, including:
- The severity of your injuries and the ways they impact your life
- Your medical costs, lost income, and other financial losses
- Whether you’re able to return to work in the same capacity as before your accident
- The pain, suffering, and emotional effects of the bike crash
- Whether you’re partially to blame for the bike accident
- Whether you’re permanently impaired, disabled, or disfigured
- The willingness of the opposing party to settle in good faith
Cases involving severe injuries are typically worth more than others. However, many factors can affect the value. We’ll help you put a dollar amount on your damages and fight for the compensation you deserve.
What Compensation Can I Recover After a Bicycle Accident in Lafayette, LA?
Bicycle accident victims in Louisiana can recover compensation for their monetary losses (economic damages) and personal losses (non-economic damages).
Economic damages after a bicycle accident may include:
- Medical expenses (ER visit, hospital stay, medications, surgery, etc.)
- Future medical treatment (rehabilitation, physical therapy, etc.)
- Lost wages and employment benefits
- Diminished earning potential
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage (damaged gear, bicycle, etc.)
Non-economic damages following a bike crash may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Depression, PTSD, anxiety, and other mental conditions
- Reduced quality of life
We’ll help you identify and calculate all losses resulting from your Lafayette bike accident.
Common Injuries Sustained in Bicycle Crashes
Even if bicyclists wear helmets and other protective gear, they are vulnerable to injuries if they’re hit by a multi-thousand-pound vehicle.
Here are some common injuries suffered in bicycle collisions:
- Head trauma
- Traumatic brain injuries, including concussions
- Facial injuries, including dental fractures
- Neck injuries, including whiplash
- Back injuries
- Chest injuries
- Soft tissue injuries, including lacerations, sprains, strains, and contusions
- Burns and road rash
- Broken bones and fractures
- Internal organ damage, including a ruptured spleen
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Nerve damage
- Loss of limbs and amputations
- Other catastrophic injuries
If you’re struggling with any of these or other injuries after a bike crash in Lafayette, Kenny Habetz Injury Law is here to help you pursue compensation.
How Do I Prove Liability for My Bicycle Accident in Louisiana?
Most bicycle accidents are caused by the negligence of the bicyclist or another driver or pedestrian. Negligence means that someone acted carelessly under the circumstances and harmed another person.
As the plaintiff (injured bicyclist) in a personal injury case, you have the burden of proving the four elements of negligence:
- Duty of care: The defendant owed you a duty to exercise reasonable caution to avoid harming others sharing the road.
- Breach of duty: The defendant breached their duty by failing to act cautiously (for example, they violated a traffic law or were driving while distracted).
- Causation: The defendant’s breach directly caused the bicycle accident that injured you.
- Damages: You sustained damages as a result (medical costs, lost income, etc.).
The evidence that can help you prove your bicycle accident case includes:
- The crash report from your accident
- Eyewitness statements
- Medical records
- Statements from your physician regarding your injuries and prognosis
- Photos and videos of the accident scene
- Physical evidence from the crash
- Expert witness testimony
If you prove negligence, you can establish that the at-fault party is liable for your damages.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Partially At Fault for a Bicycle Accident in Lafayette?
You can recover compensation even if you’re partially at fault for a bicycle accident in Lafayette. However, under Louisiana’s pure comparative fault statute, your financial award will be reduced by your percentage of allocated blame.
For example, you’re assigned 20% fault for contributing to a bike crash. You will only be entitled to 80% of your awarded compensation.
Insurance companies know this law and frequently use it to take advantage of accident victims. If you’re being blamed for your bicycle accident, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer in Lafayette to defend you and ensure that you receive fair compensation.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After a Bicycle Accident in Louisiana?
Louisiana has a relatively short statute of limitations compared to many other jurisdictions. Under state law, you must typically file a personal injury lawsuit within one year of the bicycle accident date. If you lost a loved one in an unexpected bicycle crash, you have one year from their date of death (which may differ from the accident date) to file a wrongful death action.
If you miss the deadline that applies to your bicycle accident claim, you’ll lose your right to hold the at-fault party financially accountable for your damages. Contact our Lafayette personal injury attorney today to discuss your bike accident and get started.
Contact a Lafayette Bicycle Accident Lawyer for a Free Initial Consultation
Were you injured in a bicycle accident in Lafayette, LA? If so, you don’t have to take on your legal fight for compensation alone. Give yourself time to heal and let Kenny Habetz Injury Law handle your case.
Our Lafayette bicycle accident attorney has over ten years of experience helping people get fair financial awards for their injuries and damages. Contact our law firm today for a free case assessment to discuss your legal options and see how we can help. You can call us or complete a free case evaluation form online.
Bicycle Accident Lawyer Review
Our Lafayette, LA personal injury law office also provides:
- Car Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Boating Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Lafayette, LA
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Maritime Injury Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Truck Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Lafayette, LA
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Product Liability Attorney in Lafayette, LA