Were you recently injured in a car accident in Lafayette, LA? Is a careless driver to blame? A Lafayette car accident lawyer at Kenny Habetz Injury Law can help you recover the money you deserve, call us at (337) 399-9000.
You might be entitled to substantial compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Our legal team has recovered millions for injured clients just like you. We’re ready to use our skills and experience to strengthen your case.
Contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation with a car accident attorney in Lafayette. We work on contingency, which means you pay nothing for our services until we recover a settlement or verdict on your behalf.
How Habetz Injury Law Can Help After a Car Accident in Lafayette, LA
The days and weeks after an accident can be extremely stressful. You may be facing unexpected medical bills, lost wages, and damage to your car. These losses may have depleted your savings and rainy-day funds. If someone else was responsible for your car accident, they should pay for your damages — not you.
An experienced Lafayette personal injury lawyer can help you hold the at-fault party responsible for your losses. Our founding attorney at Habetz Injury Law has over a decade of experience in personal injury law. He has recovered millions of dollars for injury victims in Louisiana, earning him recognition as a National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyer and Multi–Million Dollar Advocates Forum member, among other things.
When you hire us, you can count on us to:
- Explain all of your options for recovering compensation
- Investigate your car accident to identify liable parties and gather evidence
- Track and calculate all of your damages
- Work with experts in medicine, finance, and accident reconstruction (if necessary)
- Handle communications and negotiations on your behalf
- Take your case to court in pursuit of fair compensation
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with a Lafayette personal injury attorney. We’re here to help you.
How Common Are Car Accidents in Lafayette, Louisiana?
Louisiana has its fair share of motor vehicle accidents. As of December 2022, the state had experienced over 700 transportation fatalities. Thirty-five of those deaths occurred in Lafayette County. This data is preliminary, so the actual number of fatal accidents is bound to be higher.
In 2021, Louisiana experienced 914 fatal crashes on its highways. These crashes caused nearly 1,000 deaths. The year prior, Louisiana only had 762 fatal crashes and 828 fatalities.
What is My Car Accident Case Worth?
We cannot tell you the value of your accident case without analyzing the facts and circumstances of your crash.
There are many different factors that could impact the value of your claim, including:
- Available insurance coverages
- Whether you share fault for the accident
- The cost of your medical bills
- The extent of your lost wages and diminished earning capacity
- The pain and suffering you’ve experienced after the accident
- The strength of your evidence
Whatever your case is worth, you should expect the insurance company to have a lower valuation. That’s why it’s important to consult a car accident attorney in Lafayette for help determining your case’s worth.
Your lawyer can help you identify all of your damages and calculate your damages so you know your case’s true worth. They can even bring in experts to help evaluate complex damages like pain and suffering.
Contact Habetz Injury Law today to schedule a free case consultation to discuss the value of your claim.
What Kind of Damages Are Available to Louisiana Car Accident Victims?
You will be entitled to two main forms of damages after a car crash. Economic damages will cover your financial losses. Non-economic damages will cover your non-monetary losses — losses that are more emotional/personal than financial.
Economic damages will compensate for your:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical costs
- Lost income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy costs
- Property damage
Non-economic damages will provide money for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and anxiety
- Reduced quality of life
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
Punitive damages may be available in some car accident claims, such as those involving a drunk driver. Punitive damages are meant to punish the defendant for egregious misconduct. However, they are rarely awarded in Louisiana personal injury cases.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed For a Car Accident in Louisiana?
Yes. You can recover compensation so long as you are not 100% responsible for your crash. Louisiana has pure comparative fault laws for cases involving multiple at-fault parties. If you share fault for a crash, a court or jury will reduce your damages to account for your portion of the blame.
For example, suppose you have $150,000 in damages after a rear-end car crash. However, suppose a jury finds you 20% at fault for the crash because one of your taillights was out before the crash. In this case, you’d recover $120,000 (80%).
You shouldn’t take accusations of comparative fault lying down. Insurance companies will use these rules to reduce a victim’s compensation — even when the victim shares no fault for the crash. Our car accident lawyers in Lafayette can protect you from unfounded accusations that you contributed to your car accident.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation For All Of Your Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can produce almost every injury imaginable. The type of injury you experience (and the seriousness) will likely be influenced by the type of crash you’re involved in.
Habetz Injury Law will fight to recover compensation for every one of your injuries. We’ve recovered millions of dollars for victims who have experienced:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Neck injuries and whiplash
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Amputation injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Burn injuries
- Wrongful death
We know that you’re counting on your injury claim to recover compensation. We know that you’re counting on compensation to help you move forward after your injuries. Our injury lawyers will help you maximize the value of your claim and recover money for all your losses.
What Causes Most Car Accidents in Lafayette?
Car accidents in Louisiana have many different causes. However, most car wrecks are caused by human error. That means most crashes are preventable.
The following factors are frequent causes of motor vehicle accidents in Lafayette:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
- Traffic signal violations
- Weather conditions
- Road defects
- Product defects with a vehicle or vehicle part
Other factors could also come into play before a car accident. Moreover, more than one factor may cause a crash. Habetz Injury Law will work hard to identify the cause of your crash so you can hold the at-fault parties responsible.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Car Accident?
Most car accident cases are based on negligence. Negligence occurs when a person fails to act reasonably and injures another party.
To prove negligence, you must establish four elements:
- Duty – You must show the at-fault driver had a duty of care. All drivers have a duty to obey traffic laws and drive reasonably safely.
- Breach – You must show the at-fault party breached their duty. A breach occurs when a party fails to act like a reasonable person under the circumstances. Violating traffic laws would be considered a breach of duty.
- Causation – You must show the at-fault party caused your accident. You will need to show your accident would not have happened but for their conduct. You will also need to show your injuries were foreseeable.
- Damages – You must show you suffered damages from the accident.
You must prove all four elements to have a successful negligence claim. If you fail to prove just one, you will lose your claim. Contact Habetz Injury Law today to schedule a free case consultation to discuss how we can help you prove negligence.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Car Accident in Louisiana?
Louisiana limits the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit after a car accident. The statute of limitations for injury claims is one year. Typically, you will have one year from the date of your car accident to file a lawsuit related to the incident. This statute of limitations also applies to wrongful death suits.
If you fail to file a claim by the one-year anniversary of your crash, you will be barred from recovering damages.
One year is not a lot of time. You need to act fast to preserve your right to file a lawsuit after your crash. Contact Habetz Injury Law to get started on your claim today.
Contact Our Lafayette Car Accident Lawyers For a Free Consultation
You deserve justice after a car accident. You deserve compensation that puts you in the position before the crash. Let Habetz Injury Law go to bat for you and help you get the money you need to move forward after your injury.
Contact our law office today to schedule a free, no-pressure consultation to discuss your claim. Our Lafayette car accident lawyers are standing by to help.
Lafayette Car Accident Infographic
Lafayette Auto Accident Review
Read more of our Google reviews here.
Recent Car Accident Blog Posts
- When Do You Need to Hire a Car Accident Attorney in Lafayette?
- Should I Hire a Lawyer After a Minor Car Accident in Lafayette?
- What’s Causing Neck & Lower Back Pain After a Car Accident?
Lafayette Car Accident Resources
- Lafayette Consolidated Government
- Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office
- Lafayette Economic Development Authority
- Lafayette Medicaid Office
Lafayette Auto Repair Shops
- Tire Choice Auto Service Centers – 2014 NE Evangeline Thruway Lafayette, LA 70501
- Dave’s Car Care Center – 1400 W Pinhook Rd Lafayette, LA 70503
- Chabill’s Tire & Auto Service – 2306 Ambassador Caffery Pkwy Lafayette, LA 70506
- Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers – 2964 Johnston St Lafayette, LA 70503
Lafayette Emergency Rooms
- Orthopedic Urgent Care – 4231 Ambassador Caffery Pkwy Ste 102 Lafayette, LA 70508
- MinuteMed Walk-In Clinic – 3619E Ambassador Caffery Pkwy Lafayette, LA 70506
- Lafayette General Medical Center – 1214 Coolidge St Lafayette, LA 70503
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.