Crowley Personal Injury Lawyer
Have you been injured in an accident in Crowley, LA? Is someone else responsible for your injuries? You could be entitled to a substantial monetary award to cover your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
A Crowley personal injury lawyer at Kenny Habetz Injury Law can help you maximize your compensation. Our founding attorney has over a decade of experience in personal injury and insurance law. We’ve recovered millions for our injured clients in cases involving Crowley car accidents, truck accidents, Crowley slip and fall accidents, wrongful death, Crowley brain injury cases, and more.
Why Should I Hire Kenny Habetz Injury Law To Handle My Personal Injury Case?
If you’ve been in an accident in Crowley, Louisiana, you’ll know that the medical bills can pile up quickly, especially if you can’t work during your recovery. A personal injury claim can help you recover all the compensation you deserve from the at-fault party. That way, they’re on the hook for your losses — not you.
Our Crowley personal injury attorneys can handle all aspects of your case — and work to maximize your compensation along the way. We’ve recovered millions of dollars for accident victims just like you. We’ve also been recognized by top legal organizations, including The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
When you hire us, you can count on us to:
- Explain your legal rights after your injury
- Investigate your accident to gather evidence and identify liable parties
- Track your damages and calculate the value of your case
- Work with leading experts to strengthen your claim
- Handle all communications and negotiations related to your case
- Perform all administrative tasks and filings
- Take your case to court to protect your rights
Contact our law firm today to schedule a free consultation with a personal injury attorney. We’re standing by to help you.
Do I Have a Personal Injury Case?
Personal injury cases arise after many different types of accidents — but not all accidents. To have a personal injury case, someone else must be responsible for your injury or accident. Moreover, you must have suffered financial or personal losses as a result of the incident.
You might have a personal injury case if you were involved in a motor vehicle accident, slip and fall, workplace accident, medical malpractice incident, product defect incident, or another accident that was not your fault. The best way to find out if you have a personal injury case is to consult an experienced personal injury lawyer.
Why Should I Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
A personal injury lawyer can be a huge asset to your case. They will help you understand your rights and options after your injury. They will also protect you from aggressive defendants who want to limit their liability for your injuries — and mistakes that could cost you compensation.
The top reasons to hire an injury lawyer are:
- To level the playing field. Unfortunately, there is a disparity of resources between you and the insurance company. They have an army of lawyers, adjusters, and staff members that they’ll use to fight your claim. By hiring an attorney, you even the odds. You get access to your own key resources and legal professionals — all dedicated to helping you maximize the value of your case.
- To make sure you’re getting things right. Personal injury and insurance laws can be confusing. Your lawyer will help you navigate these laws, along with claim filing requirements, and help you avoid mistakes in the injury claims process. They will also apply their skill and knowledge to help you get the most compensation possible for your case.
- To give you time to rest and recover. You likely need rest and recovery time after your accident. You can’t do that if you’re focused on your personal injury claim. Your attorney can handle all aspects of your personal injury claim, from investigations and claim filings to negotiations and court appearances.
Contact our law office to learn more about how our lawyers can help your claim. We offer free initial consultations.
Why Should I File a Personal Injury Claim?
A personal injury claim will be your primary means of recovering compensation for your damages after an accident. The at-fault party will likely not pay for your losses out-of-pocket. They’ll rely on their insurance company to foot the bill.
The insurance company will not compensate you for your damages unless you file an injury claim. An injury claim forces the insurer to either accept or deny liability for your injuries. If they accept liability, they will offer a settlement. If they deny liability, your attorney can pursue your case in court.
We Handle All Personal Injury Cases
We know that accidents and injuries happen in all sorts of ways. Likewise, we understand that accidents can result in unexpected consequences. That’s why we handle all types of personal injury cases.
Our lawyers have experience representing clients injured in:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slip and falls
- Premises liability incidents
- Workplace accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Product liability incidents
- Dog bites
- Wrongful death
We have special skills and experience in the following practice areas.
Crowley might not be the biggest city in Louisiana. But it still has its fair share of car accidents. Louisiana is an at-fault state for auto accidents and insurance. If you get into a crash, you will have to file a claim against the at-fault party (through their insurer) to recover compensation for your losses.
Our Crowley car accident lawyers can help you pursue all the compensation you’re owed after your crash.
Large commercial trucks pass through Crowley every day. These trucks carry important goods and cargo to Louisiana and beyond. However, they also pose dangers to others on the road. If you were in a truck accident, you deserve to hold the truck driver and trucking company responsible for your damages.
Our Crowley truck accident lawyers can take the lead and put you in a position to maximize your compensation.
Serious accidents can have fatal consequences. Fortunately, Louisiana law allows surviving family members to pursue a wrongful death claim against the party responsible for their loved one’s death. This claim won’t bring your loved one back, but it can help you obtain financial security in a difficult time.
Our Crowley wrongful death attorneys has extensive experience handling wrongful death cases. We can help you pursue justice.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much is My Personal Injury Case Worth?
The value of your personal injury case will depend on many different factors. That’s why we can’t tell you its exact value without analyzing the facts.
The most important factors in determining the worth of your case are:
- Available insurance coverages
- The extent of your medical expenses
- Your lost wages and diminished earning capacity
- The pain and suffering you experienced after the accident
- Whether you share fault for your accident
- The strength of your evidence
The best way to determine the value of your case is to consult an experienced personal injury lawyer. Your attorney can identify each of your damages. They can even bring in financial experts to evaluate complex damages like pain and suffering.
Contact Kenny Habetz Injury Law to schedule a free case consultation to learn more about your case’s worth.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After an Accident in Louisiana?
Pursuant to Louisiana’s statute of limitations, you typically only have one year from the date of injury to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you lost a loved one in a fatal accident in Louisiana, you have one year from their date of death to file a wrongful death action.
There could be exceptions, such as if the personal injury victim is a child or the injury wasn’t immediately discovered. If you miss the statutory deadline that applies to your case, you’ll be unable to proceed with a claim against the at-fault party.
The best way to ensure that you meet the statute of limitations is to speak with a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
What Damages Are Available To Accident Victims?
Crowley injury victims can seek economic and non-economic damages after an accident.
Economic damages cover the monetary losses you sustain due to the accident and your injuries, such as:
- Medical bills, including visits to the ER and doctor, surgeries, and follow-up treatment
- Future medical expenses, including rehabilitation, physical therapy, and occupational therapy
- Lost wages, income, and employment benefits
- Diminished earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses
Non-economic damages cover the personal, subjective losses you endure due to your injuries, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Mental anguish
In rare cases, the court may award punitive damages to punish a defendant for particularly reckless conduct. However, Louisiana law typically only allows these exemplary damages in specific claims, such as those involving an intoxicated driver who severely injured a victim.
What If I’m Partially At Fault For the Accident?
The State of Louisiana operates under a pure comparative fault law, meaning you can recover compensation even if you share blame for the accident.
However, your allocated fault will proportionately decrease your awarded settlement or verdict. For example, if you’re assigned 60% of the blame for causing a collision, you can only recover 40% of your awarded compensation.
Jurisdictions that operate using a pure comparative negligence standard are more friendly to personal injury victims. Victims can pursue compensation even if they share most of the blame. Many other states prevent people from recovering compensation if their fault reaches 50% or 51%.
Insurance companies and other defendants frequently use contributory fault to limit their financial liability, even if their allegations are unsubstantiated or untrue. If you’re being blamed for an accident, contact a personal injury lawyer to defend you and fight for fair compensation.
How Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help Me After an Accident?
Personal injury lawyers take on many tasks for their clients. Their main objective is to recover the maximum amount of compensation possible.
Accordingly, an attorney will handle every aspect of your claim, including but not limited to:
- Investigating what caused your accident and who shares liability for it (including third parties)
- Gathering evidence to prove each element of your claim, including causation, the value of your damages, and liability
- Consulting leading experts, such as accident reconstructionists, medical specialists, and financial advisors, if necessary
- Submitting and filing all necessary documentation by the applicable deadlines
- Engaging in negotiations, including offers and counteroffers, until a fair settlement is reached
- Protecting you against tactics that serve to undervalue your claim
- Representing you in all legal proceedings and court hearings
Contact our personal injury lawyers to learn more about how we can help after an accident.
How Much Does it Cost To Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Most personal injury attorneys in Crowley and throughout Acadia Parish operate under a contingency fee agreement.
Under this arrangement, you owe no upfront fees or retainers when you hire an attorney after an accident. They receive their attorney’s fees at the conclusion of the case when they deduct them from your awarded settlement or verdict. If your lawyer loses your case, you owe them nothing for their legal services.
The contingency fee is a percentage – typically between 33% and 40% – of your awarded compensation. The exact rate depends on the complexity of your case, the work required to prove it, and whether it goes to trial. We’ll explain the details of our contingency fees to you during your free consultation.
What Is the Personal Injury Claims Process, and What Should I Expect?
To some extent, each personal injury claim in Crowley will play out differently based on the situation’s facts and circumstances. For instance, most claims won’t make it to court, let alone trial – but sometimes, that is what is in our client’s best interest. That said, you can expect your claim to loosely play out as follows:
- The first step is to investigate your accident to determine the liable parties, collect evidence, and determine your claim’s full value.
- Once we have a better understanding of what your claim is worth and what it entails, we’ll send a demand letter to the other party (usually to an insurance company).
- The insurance company will review the letter and will, most likely, respond either disputing liability or offering a settlement that is lower than the true value of your claim.
- Negotiations will then ensue between the other party and us in an attempt to arrive at a fair agreement.
- If the other party refuses to settle for an adequate amount, filing a lawsuit might become necessary.
- Once a lawsuit is filed, various pretrial procedures, such as pretrial discovery and pretrial motions, must occur. Cases can still settle at this point (as they can even during trial).
- Trial will then begin after the pretrial processes have been completed, and a final outcome will likely be reached at this point – either a verdict or a settlement.
What Is Negligence?
Negligence is perhaps the most important legal concept to understand in the personal injury context, as it is the cause of action that most cases are based on. In most personal injury cases, the injured victim must prove that the other party was negligent in order to win. Negligence occurs when the following legal elements are present:
- Duty – Were you owed a duty of care at the time of the accident? For example, motor vehicle drivers have a duty to obey the laws of the road.
- Breach – Did the other party violate that duty of care? If someone runs a red light, for instance, this element is likely satisfied.
- Causation – You will need to prove that the other party caused the accident, either through their actions or inactions.
- Damages – Did you suffer losses as a result of the other party’s conduct? In most cases, it will be necessary to show that you suffered financial losses in particular.
Our personal injury attorney is highly-adept at proving negligence cases. Contact him and the rest of our legal team today to begin the process of recovering the compensation you deserve.
What Should I Do After an Accident in Crowley, LA?
The steps you take following a personal injury accident in Crowley, Louisiana, can significantly impact how your claim plays out down the line. To that end, here are a few essential things to keep in mind:
- Do not accept blame for the accident, and do not apologize to anyone. These sorts of statements may be used by the at-fault party to reduce their liability for your damages.
- Alert the proper authorities, which usually means calling 911. This is required by law in some cases, such as car accidents that result in injury, death, or at least $500 in property damage.
- If it is safe to do so, collect any evidence that might be helpful in proving your claim. For example, taking pictures and videos of the accident scene and taking down any eyewitnesses’ contact information.
- Receive medical attention, regardless of whether you have sustained an obvious injury. Medical records will be vital to the success of your claim, and not all injuries are immediately presented.
It is also wise to contact a professional personal injury attorney as soon as you can after an accident. A lawyer can provide you with guidance and legal advice on how to proceed as well.
Who Could Be Liable for My Injuries After an Accident?
Louisiana tort law allows you to pursue compensation from just about anyone after an accident, so long as you can prove their negligence (or strict liability, in certain cases). Possible liable parties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Individual persons, such as the other driver in a motor vehicle accident
- A business, such as a night club that does not provide adequate security measures
- The manufacturer, distributor, or retailer of a defective product
- A governmental entity that does not uphold its duties
- A property owner, whether public or private, that does not keep their premises in a reasonably safe condition
At the minimum, there is at least a chance that there is a party in your case that you can hold liable. Contact Kenny Habetz Injury Law today to set up a free case evaluation for further information.
How Long Will My Personal Injury Case Take?
The amount of time any given personal injury case will take to resolve will hinge on the facts involved in the situation. While some cases reach a final outcome in just a matter of days or weeks, others can take significantly longer.
At Kenny Habetz Injury Law, we don’t cut corners when it comes to pursuing full compensation for our clients. That means we’ll be willing to take your case the distance – meaning all the way to trial – if that’s in your best interest. While the cases that reach trial will take the longest to resolve, it may be worth it in the end.
However, most cases will not even make it to court, let alone trial. Sometimes, filing a lawsuit is enough to convince the other party to arrive at a valid settlement offer. Once a lawsuit is filed, a case can still settle, even all the way up to the trial itself. Further, filing a lawsuit gives us access to the pretrial discovery process, which could reveal crucial evidence needed to prove your claim.
To learn more about how long your case might take to resolve, feel free to get in touch with our legal team to schedule a free consultation.
Contact Our Experienced Crowley Personal Injury Lawyers for Legal Help
Without a doubt, you deserve adequate compensation if you’ve suffered a personal injury in an accident in Crowley, LA. If you’ve had to miss work due to the accident and are dealing with significant pain and suffering, the entire situation can feel more than overwhelming.
If you select Kenny Habetz Injury Law to help with your claim, you’ll be able to take your mind off the legal side of things and focus on your recovery. And in the meantime, our personal injury lawyer in Crowley will fight tooth and nail to make you whole again as best as possible.
Call us today or reach out online to schedule your free case review.