Did you sustain a brain injury caused by someone’s negligent or intentional actions in Lafayette, Louisiana? A Lafayette brain injury lawyer at Kenny Habetz Injury Law can fight for you while you focus on your physical and emotional recovery, call us at (337) 399-9000.
You may be able to hold them accountable and pursue compensation for your medical bills, lost income, and trauma.
We have over ten years of experience helping injured victims secure favorable settlements and verdicts – and we’re here to help you during your time of need.
Contact our law office to schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney in Lafayette, LA. We’ll discuss how your brain injury happened and what we can do to help you get the compensation you deserve.
How Can Our Personal Injury Lawyers Help You With a Brain Injury Claim in Lafayette, LA?
A brain injury can have devastating effects by impacting your cognitive skills, behavior, and mental health.
You may need ongoing rehabilitation to relearn how to perform daily tasks and cope with various complications.
This, of course, costs money – and you shouldn’t bear those costs if someone else is responsible for your brain injury.
Kenny Habetz Injury Law is here to offer assistance during this difficult time. We’re dedicated to providing exceptional client service and obtaining the best possible results for injury victims.
If you hire a Lafayette personal injury lawyer from our law firm to help with your brain injury claim, we’ll:
- Investigate how your brain injury happened and identify all potentially liable parties
- Communicate with your healthcare providers to determine the severity of your brain damage and prognosis
- Consult leading experts – including medical specialists, occupational therapists, and financial advisors – as we build your case and value your damages
- Ensure that you’re always informed regarding the status of your claim and next steps
- Handle your case from start to finish, including negotiations and litigation, if necessary
Contact us to discuss your case with an experienced Lafayette brain injury attorney. We’ll explain the benefits of creating an attorney-client relationship.
Overview of Brain Injuries
Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) usually occur when a violent force damages the brain tissue. A TBI can range from mild to moderate to severe. Depending on the severity of the injury, a victim may experience complications lasting days, years, or the remainder of their lives.
A brain injury can happen in a few different ways:
- A closed brain injury occurs when a sudden, non-penetrating external force rapidly moves your head, causing bruises and tears in your brain tissue. For example, if you fall, the forceful impact of your head hitting the floor can cause your brain to violently impact your skull.
- An open brain injury (penetrating brain injury) occurs when the skull is fractured, such as if a bullet penetrates someone’s skull and pierces their brain tissue.
Some brain injuries are immediately apparent, while others may produce symptoms days or weeks later. That’s why it’s essential to seek medical attention if you’ve been in a motor vehicle accident or experienced violent bodily movements.
Types of Brain Injuries
Brain injuries can be primary or secondary. Primary brain injuries occur at the moment of the initial head trauma, whereas secondary brain injuries indirectly result from the initial injury. Secondary brain injuries can evolve and cause further brain tissue deterioration.
Brain damage can also be focal (affecting one region of the brain) or diffuse (affecting more than one region of the brain).
Some brain injuries include:
- Skull fractures
- Hemorrhages/brain bleeds
- Diffuse axonal injuries (DAIs)
- Coup-contrecoup injuries
- Cerebral edema
- Meningitis and other infections
Many of these brain injuries are emergency medical situations that need to be assessed by a physician.
Doctors use the Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) to evaluate the extent of head injuries. The GCS measures a patient’s consciousness by testing their motor, verbal, and eye-opening responses.
You may also undergo imaging tests (e.g., a CT scan or MRI) to evaluate your brain for swelling, blood clots, and other signs of distress.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Brain Injuries?
A TBI can affect a person’s entire life, including their cognition, motor skills, senses, regulatory functions, and daily activities. The symptoms someone experiences will depend on their health, the severity of the trauma, and the affected region of the brain.
Traumatic brain injuries may present any of the following symptoms, which can be temporary or long-term:
- Blurred vision
- Amnesia and other memory issues
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Sensitivity to light and/or sound
- Loss of consciousness
- Epilepsy (seizures)
- Numbness in the toes and fingers
- Slurred speech and other communication difficulties
- Unusual behavior, such as aggression and other personality changes
- Dilated pupils
- Loss of coordination and other motor deficits
A brain injury can also impair a person’s ability to care for themselves. They may need help bathing, eating, paying their bills, and shopping. Additionally, they may be unable to maintain social relationships.
How Common Are Brain Injuries?
Traumatic brain injuries are one of the leading causes of disability and death in the United States, affecting 2.5 million individuals yearly. According to the CDC, approximately 176 Americans die from brain injuries every day.
What Causes Brain Injuries in Louisiana?
Brain injuries usually result from a sudden blow or jolt to the head or body. The leading causes of traumatic brain injuries are:
- Falls from heights
- Slip and fall accidents
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Violence, including assault, gunshot wounds, and child abuse
- Sport-related injuries
Some other causes of brain injuries include:
- Construction accidents
- Accidents caused by defective products (product liability)
- Electric scooter accidents
- Boating accidents
- Bus accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Exposure to toxic substances
- Nursing home abuse
- Medical malpractice
- Dog bites
No matter how you sustained your brain injury in Lafayette, Kenny Habetz Injury Law is here to help.
What Is My Lafayette Brain Injury Case Worth?
All claims are unique, with a different set of circumstances, victims, injuries, and at-fault parties.
Accordingly, the value of your brain injury case will depend on several factors, such as:
- The severity of your head trauma
- The medical costs you’ve incurred and will incur in the future
- The effect of your brain injury on your quality of life
- The amount of time you’ve missed from work
- Whether you’re able to return to work in the same capacity as before the accident
- The level of pain and suffering you’ve endured
- Whether you share fault for your accident
- Whether you mitigated your damages
It’s important to know what your brain injury claim is worth before you start negotiating with insurance companies and other opposing parties. Otherwise, they’ll likely attempt to get you to settle for an amount that doesn’t fully compensate you for your losses.
What Compensation Can I Recover for My Brain Injury in Lafayette, LA?
Brain injury victims in Lafayette can recover compensation for their economic (financial) and non-economic (subjective) losses.
Economic damages in a brain injury case could include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Treatment, rehabilitation, and physical therapy
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses
Non-economic damages could include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
- Loss of companionship
A Lafayette brain injury attorney at Kenny Habetz Injury Law will help you identify your losses and calculate the fair value of your damages.
What If I’m Blamed for Causing My Brain Injury in Louisiana?
Louisiana follows a pure comparative fault law, meaning you can recover compensation even if you share blame for contributing to your accident or brain injury. However, your portion of negligence will reduce your financial recovery.
For example, if you’re apportioned 45% of the blame for a car accident that causes a concussion, you can only recover 55% of your awarded compensation.
Insurance companies use comparative negligence to reduce settlements. However, their allegations are often unsubstantiated. If you’re blamed for causing your brain injury, contact a personal injury lawyer in Lafayette for help.
How Long Do I Have To File a Brain Injury Lawsuit in Louisiana?
The Louisiana statute of limitations for most personal injury claims is one year. You have one year from the date you sustained your brain injury to file a lawsuit.
However, exceptions exist. You don’t want to miss the statutory deadline that applies to your case. If you do, you’ll forfeit your legal right to recover compensation from the at-fault party.
It’s best to consult an experienced Lafayette personal injury attorney as soon as possible after your accident to ensure you meet the applicable statute of limitations.
Contact Our Lafayette Brain Injury Lawyers for a Free Case Evaluation
You don’t have to take on a legal battle alone if you’ve suffered a brain injury in Lafayette, LA.
Our legal team is here to handle your claim from start to finish so that you can focus on recovering and healing.
Contact Kenny Habetz Injury Law to speak with an experienced Lafayette brain injury lawyer. We’ll discuss your accident, head trauma, and the compensation you may be able to seek.
We offer a free consultation, so call today to schedule yours.
Lafayette Emergency Rooms
- Orthopedic Urgent Care – 4231 Ambassador Caffery Pkwy Ste 102 Lafayette, LA 70508
- MinuteMed Walk-In Clinic – 3619E Ambassador Caffery Pkwy Lafayette, LA 70506
- Lafayette General Medical Center – 1214 Coolidge St Lafayette, LA 70503
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Brain Injury Lawyer Review
Read more of our Google reviews here.
Our Lafayette, LA personal injury law office also provides:
- Car Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Maritime Injury Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Truck Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Lafayette, LA
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Product Liability Attorney in Lafayette, LA