Owners of property in Lafayette, Louisiana, are required to keep their premises reasonably safe. When they fail to do so, they could be held liable for damages as a result. You might be able to file a claim under this area of the law if you were injured in a slip and fall accident.
Kenny Habetz Injury Law has been helping accident victims recover the compensation they need and deserve for over a decade. In that time, our experienced Lafayette slip and fall accident lawyer has collected millions of dollars for his clients. Beginning today, we can also put his knowledge and expertise to work for you.
We can take your call 24/7 at (337) 399-9000 if you have any questions or would like to get started. Our personal injury law firm offers a completely free initial consultation to review your slip and fall accident case.
How Kenny Habetz Injury Law Can Help After a Slip and Fall Accident in Lafayette
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident in Lafayette, LA, you might not be sure what your legal rights and options are. It’s unlikely that the person or entity responsible for the property where your incident occurred will willingly accept liability. And in some cases, it might not even be clear who the right person to pursue compensation from is.
The truth is that Louisiana premises liability law offers legal protection to the vast majority of people that visit property in the state – whether public or private.
You may be able to assert these rights and receive a monetary award for your pain and suffering, medical bills, and more.
If you hire Kenny Habetz Injury Law to help you in that effort, you’ll have award-winning personal injury attorneys in Lafayette at your corner to handle virtually every aspect of your claim, including:
- With the aid of experts when needed, evaluating the full extent of your damages and collecting evidence in support of your claim
- Handling all the communications, negotiations, procedures, and paperwork while you rest and recover from the accident
- The ability to file a lawsuit on your behalf in case the at-fault party refuses to settle or does not negotiate in good faith
- Making sure you understand and are up-to-date on your legal options throughout the process
These represent just a few examples of what we can do in service of your slip and fall accident claim. Contact us today to begin forming an attorney-client relationship.
Slip and Fall Accident Statistics
Slip and fall accidents occur far more often than you might have expected. According to the National Safety Council (NSC), falls are the second most common cause of unintentional injury-related death. Based on Injury Facts data, 42,114 people died due to a fall in 2020 across the country. In addition, over 6.8 million people were treated in emergency rooms after a fall accident in 2019.
These numbers are alarming, especially when you consider that many fall accidents likely do not require emergency room treatment yet still result in serious injury. Further, a significant number, if not most, of these accidents are preventable – had the property owner taken steps to fix the hazard that caused the slip and fall to occur.
How Valuable Is My Lafayette Slip and Fall Accident Claim?
The slip and fall accidents that cause the most serious, debilitating injuries are usually worth the most. That said, there are many other factors that go into evaluating a claim. Some of these factors are:
- The terms of any insurance policies that apply to the case
- The amount of evidence that can be asserted against the at-fault party
- Whether the victim will make a full medical recovery from their injuries
- The age of the victim at the time of the slip and fall
- Where the slip and fall accident occurred, and who the owner of the property is
Ultimately, no two slip and fall accident claims will have the same value. As a result, the best way to find out how valuable your claim might be is to contact a Lafayette personal injury lawyer for a free case evaluation.
We’ll Fight To Pursue Compensation for Each of Your Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
Slip and fall accidents hold the possibility of causing severe injuries that can impact the victim’s daily life forever. Some of the types of injuries we can help you recover compensation for include the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- The wrongful death of a loved one
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Puncture wounds and lacerations
- Chest injuries
- Back injuries
Have you suffered an injury after a slip and fall accident in Lafayette? Contact Kenny Habetz Injury Law today for legal advice and help.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Lafayette, LA
A slip and fall accident can take place just about anywhere. Some may be the result of a workplace accident, while others may take place at a retail establishment or a public park. The causes of these accidents also vary widely; some of the more common are:
- Slippery floors
- Poor lighting or visibility
- Unsafe working conditions
- Obstacles on a walkway
- Unkept or uneven sidewalks
- Improper property maintenance
- Failing to inspect the area for damage
Regardless of how your slip and fall accident was caused, you could have the ability to recover compensation from the at-fault party. Discuss your legal rights today by calling our experienced Lafayette slip and fall accident attorney.
How Do I Prove Liability After a Lafayette Slip and Fall Accident?
Slip and fall accidents generally fall under the premises liability area of personal injury law. This area of the law ensures that property owners keep their premises safe and free from unreasonable hazards.
The primary state law that applies to this area is Article 2322 of the Louisiana Code, but others may apply as well based on the facts involved in the situation. This law offers legal protection to visitors upon premises in the state when the owner fails to properly maintain the area they’re responsible for.
In order to establish liability under these laws, you will need to prove the following in most instances:
- The property owner owed you a duty of care, given the circumstances (specifically, you were not trespassing at the time of the accident)
- Your slip and fall injuries were caused by a dangerous condition on the property
- The property owner was aware of the dangerous condition or should have been aware of it
- You suffered damages as a result of the accident
The personal injury victim has the burden of proof to support these contentions. They must be asserted “by a preponderance of the evidence,” which means it must be shown that they are more likely to be true than otherwise. You can submit the following types of evidence, to name a few examples:
- Eyewitness testimony
- Expert analysis and testimony
- Video footage of the property, if available
- Photos and other documentation of the accident scene
- Medical records
When you hire Kenny Habetz Injury Law to represent you, we can conduct a comprehensive investigation into your accident. During that time, we can help to collect evidence, identify the liable party to seek compensation from, and evaluate all of your damages.
Types of Damages You Can Receive From a Slip and Fall Accident Claim in Lafayette, Louisiana
Victims of slip and fall accidents in Louisiana can pursue economic damages as well as non-economic damages for their injuries. Types of things you can receive compensation for include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Decreased enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Medical bills
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Lost wages
- Decreased earning capacity
Our experienced Lafayette personal injury attorney will work hard to maximize the value of your claim when you select him to represent you after your slip and fall accident. Contact us today to set up a free case assessment.
The Deadline To File a Lawsuit After a Slip and Fall Accident in Louisiana
In Louisiana, you will have just one year from the date of your slip and fall accident to file a claim against the at-fault party. It is critically important that you file your claim in time because otherwise, you will likely forfeit your ability to pursue compensation.
However, there are exceptions to this deadline that might apply to your case, depending on the facts. Contact our law office in Lafayette for further clarification on when you need to file your claim, given the facts of your situation.
Contact Our Trusted Lafayette Slip and Fall Accident Attorney Today for a Free Case Review
A slip and fall accident can leave you with a number of difficult consequences to contend with: everything from your pain and suffering to the financial losses you’ve sustained.
If you hire our Lafayette slip and fall accident lawyer to represent you, you’ll have the chance to focus on healing from your injuries. During that time, our legal team will work hard to pursue a compensation award that makes you whole again as best as possible.
We also work on contingency, which means that you’ll only pay us attorney’s fees if we secure compensation for you. Contact us online to get the process started.
Lafayette Emergency Rooms
- Orthopedic Urgent Care – 4231 Ambassador Caffery Pkwy Ste 102 Lafayette, LA 70508
- MinuteMed Walk-In Clinic – 3619E Ambassador Caffery Pkwy Lafayette, LA 70506
- Lafayette General Medical Center – 1214 Coolidge St Lafayette, LA 70503
Lafayette Physical Therapists
- LaBorde Hand Occupational and Physical Therapy Center – 2727 Kaliste Saloom Rd Ste 101 Lafayette, LA 70508
- Acadiana Pain & Performance Rehab – 325 Oil Center Dr Lafayette, LA 70503
- ACTS Occupational and Physical Therapy – 484 Albertson Pkwy Ste A Broussard, LA 70518
- Grace Home Health – 1602 W Pinhook Rd Lafayette, LA 70508
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Our Lafayette, LA personal injury law office also provides:
- Car Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Boating Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Lafayette, LA
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Maritime Injury Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Truck Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Lafayette, LA
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Product Liability Attorney in Lafayette, LA