If you or a family member were injured in a pedestrian accident in Lafayette, LA, you may have a legal right to compensation. If someone else caused your accident, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more.
Our experienced Lafayette pedestrian accident lawyer at Kenny Habetz Injury Law can help you fight for the full compensation you deserve.
Our lawyers have over a decade of experience. We’ve already recovered millions of dollars on behalf of accident victims–and we’re well prepared to fight for you.
How Kenny Habetz Injury Law Can Help After a Pedestrian Accident in Lafayette, LA
Pedestrians often suffer devastating injuries when they’re involved in motor vehicle accidents. Our lawyer knows this is a difficult time for you and your family. We also know that you shouldn’t have to struggle with financial stress when the accident wasn’t your fault. Our Lafayette personal injury lawyer is here to protect your rights.
Our lawyer at Kenny Habetz Injury Lawyers has been recognized by Expertise as the Best Car Accident Lawyer and the Best Personal Injury Lawyer in Lafayette. He’s also earned a spot on the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
We can help with your case by:
- Handling the investigation into your accident
- Assessing your damages and calculating your case value
- Bringing in experts who can help prove your case
- Defending you if the insurance company tries to pin the blame on you
- Negotiating with the insurance companies on your behalf
- Fiercely advocating for the maximum compensation you deserve
Our Lafayette personal injury lawyer will stand by your side every step of the way. You don’t have to handle this battle alone. Just call for a free case review to get the legal representation you deserve today.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents in Louisiana?
Pedestrian deaths reached the highest levels in 40 years in 2021. According to a study conducted by the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA), 7,485 pedestrians were killed across the U.S. in 2021.
The streets of Louisiana are also becoming more dangerous for pedestrians. In Louisiana, preliminary data shows that 175 pedestrians were killed in 2021. That’s up from 149 pedestrian fatalities in 2020 and 129 pedestrian deaths in 2019.
What Is My Lafayette Pedestrian Accident Case Worth?
Our legal team in Lafayette can’t accurately assess your case value without talking to you first. Before we determine how much your personal injury case is worth, we must understand the circumstances of the accident. However, there are some factors that will influence the value of nearly every personal injury claim.
The most important factors include:
- The severity of your injuries
- The cost of your current medical treatment and anticipated future medical care
- How much time you miss at work, and your lost earnings
- Whether the injury will impact your future work and earnings
- Whether you are expected to make a full recovery
- The terms of the applicable insurance policies
- Whether the insurance company can prove you share blame for the accident
Generally, your case value will depend on the expenses you have incurred and how the injury impacts your life. Our lawyer will consider both past and future losses.
It’s natural to be curious about your case value before taking legal action. We are always available to discuss your case, so call for a free case evaluation today.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Pedestrian Accidents in Lafayette?
Victims in personal injury cases may be entitled to economic, non-economic, or punitive damages.
Punitive damages are rare but may be awarded if your pedestrian accident involves a drunk driver.
Most injury victims can recover damages for their economic and non-economic losses.
Economic damages compensate for financial and economic losses, such as:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Property damage
Non-economic damages compensate for specified personal losses, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Disfigurement or scarring
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
In a successful case, you should be compensated for all of the losses you have suffered due to the accident and injuries.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Pedestrian Accident in Louisiana?
In the State of Louisiana, pure comparative negligence laws apply in personal injury cases. Victims who are partly responsible for their own injuries are also partly responsible for damages.
For example, if you were 40% to blame, you can only take home 60% of your compensation. You can also be held responsible for 40% of the other party’s damages if they were also injured.
It’s in your best interests to hire an experienced lawyer if the insurance companies are blaming you for causing the accident. Sharing even part of the blame can mean walking away with less money than you need. At Kenny Habetz Injury Lawyers, we can help minimize your role in the crash so that you can recover the financial compensation you deserve.
Our Lafayette Pedestrian Accident Attorney Will Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Injuries
Pedestrians are particularly vulnerable to sustaining serious injuries in a car accident. When you’re walking down the street, you don’t have the protection of a strong metal vehicle. You won’t even have a helmet to protect against head injuries.
We often represent injured pedestrians who have suffered:
- Crushing injuries
- Damage to internal organs
- Multiple fractures and broken bones
- Facial injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Pelvic injuries
- Knee and shoulder
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
In most cases, the injured pedestrian requires immediate medical attention. While you’re recovering in the hospital, our lawyers can begin our investigation into your case. We’re ready to get started today, so call our legal team at Kenny Habetz Injury Lawyers for a free consultation with a Lafayette pedestrian accident lawyer today.
What Are the Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Lafayette, Louisiana?
Most pedestrian accidents occur because drivers aren’t paying attention. Pedestrians can be difficult to see–especially at night. Still, drivers have a duty to share the roads and watch for people walking.
Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving and inattention
- Failure to yield the right-of-way at intersections and crosswalks
- Aggressive driving
- Dangerous turns
- Disregarding traffic signals
- Driver fatigue
- Failure to check for pedestrians when backing up
- Driving too close to the shoulder or sidewalk
- Malfunctioning traffic signals
- Poorly marked crosswalks
- Inadequate lighting
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
Our accident lawyers in Lafayette will carefully investigate to determine the cause of your accident. If you need help establishing liability for your injuries, contact our law firm in Lafayette today. We’d be happy to stand up and fight to protect your legal rights.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Pedestrian Accident in Louisiana?
Most people must prove negligence to recover damages after an accident. Negligence is a legal term. It’s similar to “careless.” Someone is negligent when they violate a duty of care and hurt someone because of their mistake.
There are four elements to a negligence claim:
- The at-fault driver owed you a legal duty of care (all drivers on the road have a duty to obey traffic laws and drive carefully)
- They breached the duty of care
- The breach of duty caused the accident
- You were injured and sustained damages
In nearly every case, one or more of these elements will be contested. That makes it important to locate strong evidence to prove your case.
Our lawyers will search for the evidence you need, including:
- Video surveillance footage from local businesses, dash cams, or traffic lights
- Eyewitnesses who can testify about what they saw
- Photos of the accident scene
- Results of drug and alcohol testing
- Police reports
- Medical records
- Accident reconstruction specialists who can provide expert opinions about what happened
When your injuries are serious, you should expect the insurance company to fight your claim. At Kenny Habetz Injury Lawyers, we’re here to protect you. While you recover, give us a call to learn more about your legal options.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Filing a Lawsuit After a Pedestrian Accident in Louisiana?
The statute of limitations in Louisiana is only one year. That’s much shorter than the deadlines in most other states. If you wait any longer than a year to take legal action, you’ll lose the right to file a claim for damages.
Contact a Lafayette Pedestrian Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Reach out to Kenny Habetz Injury Lawyers today if you were injured in an accident. Our lawyer has a proven track record of success that you can depend on. All you have to do is click to contact a Lafayette pedestrian accident lawyer today.
Our Lafayette, LA personal injury law office also provides:
- Car Accident Lawyer in Lafayette, LA
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Boating Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Lafayette, LA
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Maritime Injury Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Truck Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Lafayette, LA
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Product Liability Attorney in Lafayette, LA