If you or a loved one has been involved in a bus accident in Lafayette, LA, the path to justice and compensation can be challenging. At Kenny Habetz Injury Law, our experienced Lafayette bus accident lawyer is here to guide you through the legal process ahead.
Our legal team has secured millions of dollars for clients throughout Louisiana since 2010. Whether you are facing injuries, emotional trauma, or financial burdens from a bus accident, we can help you fight for your rights.
How Kenny Habetz Injury Law Can Help After a Bus Accident in Lafayette, LA
Experiencing a bus crash in Lafayette is a traumatic experience. Having a skilled accident lawyer by your side can improve your odds of filing a successful personal injury claim and maximizing your compensation.
At Kenny Habetz Injury Law, we have over a decade of experience representing bus accident victims in Lafayette, LA. Our founding attorney has been recognized as one of the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers and 40 Under 40 for successfully recovering millions of dollars on behalf of injury victims.
Our team will use our experience to help you:
- Evaluate your bus accident case
- Investigate liability
- Gather evidence
- Interview eyewitnesses
- Retain experts
- File insurance claims
- Negotiate settlements
- Represent you at trial, if necessary
Schedule a free initial consultation with our Lafayette personal injury lawyer if you or a loved one have been injured in a bus accident.
How Common Are Bus Accidents in Lafayette, LA?
Bus accidents occur across Louisiana and other states. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) most recent 2021 report, there were over 119,000 injury crashes involving large trucks or buses in 2021.
When bus accidents occur in Lafayette, they can have substantial impacts on those involved due to their size, weight, and passenger load. This can lead to significant injuries, property damage, and, in severe cases, fatalities.
What Causes Most Bus Crashes in Lafayette, LA?
Accidents involving buses can have devastating consequences for riders and other drivers or passengers. But what causes most bus accidents in Lafayette?
At Kenny Habetz Injury Law, our Lafayette personal injury attorney has seen bus accidents attributed to several causes:
- Bus Driver Error: Human error is one of the most significant causes of bus accidents. Bus drivers may fail to adhere to traffic laws or drive while distracted.
- Other Road Users: The actions of other drivers, cyclists, or pedestrians can contribute to bus accidents, including failing to yield the right of way or driving negligently.
- Weather Conditions: Heavy rain or fog can affect visibility and road traction, greatly increasing the risk of bus accidents.
- Mechanical Failures: Buses are susceptible to mechanical failures. Issues with brakes, steering, tires, or engines that are attributable to manufacturing defects or poor maintenance can occur unexpectedly and cause accidents.
- Road Conditions: Road conditions in Lafayette can also contribute to bus accidents. Potholes or unmarked construction zones can create hazardous conditions for large vehicles like buses.
If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident involving a bus, consult an experienced personal injury lawyer in Lafayette.
What Is My Lafayette Bus Accident Case Worth?
The consequences of bus accidents can vary widely. If you have been injured in a Lafayette bus collision, you may be wondering what your case is worth.
Determining the value of any accident claim requires considering many factors, including:
- The cost of medical treatment
- The value of lost income
- The length of your recovery
- The severity of your injuries
- The impact of your injuries on your daily life and ability to earn a living
Schedule a free initial consultation with a Lafayette bus accident attorney to discuss the potential value of your case.
What Kinds of Damages Are Available to Bus Accident Victims in Lafayette, Louisiana?
Victims of bus accidents in Lafayette are entitled to seek various types of damages to compensate for their losses and injuries. Understanding the categories of damages available is crucial for those affected by these crashes.
These damages are generally classified into two main categories: economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are your direct financial expenses related to the bus accident.
Common examples include:
- Medical Expenses: Compensation for medical-related costs such as hospital stays, surgeries, medications, physical therapy, and required future medical care.
- Lost Wages: Compensation for lost income due to your inability to work after the bus accident or your lost earning capacity if your ability to earn a living is impacted.
- Property Damage: Reimbursement for personal property damaged in the bus accident.
- Other Out-of-Pocket Expenses: Compensation for other expenses, such as transportation costs to doctor appointments.
A Lafayette bus accident lawyer can help you calculate the accident-related economic damages in your case.
Non-economic damages are your subjective losses. They are not tied to monetary expenses but can still considerably impact your life and well-being.
Common examples include:
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for the physical pain and emotional distress caused by your bus accident. This can include anxiety, depression, and physical pain.
- Loss of Companionship: Compensation if the accident negatively affects your relationship with your spouse.
- Disfigurement or Permanent Disability: Compensation for any long-term physical changes, scarring, or disabilities resulting from the accident.
An experienced bus accident lawyer can evaluate the non-economic damages available in your claim. It is important to remember that the extent of these damages can vary significantly based on the specifics of your case.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Bus Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA?
One of the most common concerns when seeking legal representation after a bus accident is the cost of hiring a lawyer. In Lafayette, LA, our bus accident lawyer works on a contingency fee basis.
This means we will not charge you upfront fees for our legal services. Our fee is instead a percentage of the final amount we win for you in your case. This allows anyone injured in a Louisiana bus crash to retain an experienced attorney.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation For All of Your Bus Accident Injuries
Bus accidents can lead to various injuries for passengers, drivers, and even pedestrians. Given the size, weight, and nature of buses, the severity of these injuries can vary widely. Factors such as speed and whether victims wore seatbelts can also play a role.
A bus accident lawyer in Lafayette can help you recover compensation for:
- Head and brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash and neck injuries
- Broken or fractured bones
- Lacerations and bruises
- Internal injuries
- Psychological trauma
Regardless of the extent and severity of your injuries, we can help you recover compensation for their effects on your health and quality of life. Be sure to seek immediate medical attention for any injuries immediately after your bus accident.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Bus Accident in Louisiana?
Proving negligence in a Louisiana bus accident case is a critical step to securing compensation for your injuries and damages. Negligence is a legal concept that requires you to demonstrate that your accident was caused by someone’s failure to behave reasonably.
You need to:
- Show that another person or entity, like the bus driver, bus company, or manufacturer, owed a duty of care to you.
- Demonstrate that the person or entity breached their duty of care.
- Prove that the breach directly caused your bus accident and injuries.
- Prove that you suffered actual damages due to the accident, such as medical bills, lost wages, or pain and suffering.
Due to the complexities of proving negligence, consult a Lafayette bus accident lawyer. A lawyer can help you gather evidence to prove these elements and retain experts to support your claim.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After a Bus Accident in Louisiana?
If you’ve been involved in a bus accident in Louisiana, you may have to file a lawsuit against the responsible parties for compensation. You should be sure to understand the legal time limit for filing a lawsuit for personal injuries, known as the statute of limitations.
This timeframe is important because if you fail to file a bus accident lawsuit in time, you will be barred from seeking compensation for your injuries and losses in court.
In Louisiana, the statute of limitations for most personal injury cases, including those involving bus accidents, is one year from the accident date. This means you have one year from the day your accident occurred to file a lawsuit.
Be sure to speak with a Louisiana bus accident lawyer as soon as possible to protect your rights and file a lawsuit in time.
Contact Our Lafayette Bus Accident Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has been involved in a bus accident in Lafayette, LA, our experienced team can offer you the legal support you need. We can protect your rights and fight for compensation.
Schedule a free initial consultation with our Lafayette bus accident lawyer today. Remember, there are no upfront costs, and you pay nothing unless we win your case.