Did you or a family member suffer injuries due to a dangerous consumer product in Lafayette, LA? Dangerous and defective products can cause all types of injuries. An experienced Lafayette product liability lawyer at Kenny Habetz Injury Law can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering.
Our lawyers have been serving Lafayette accident victims for over a decade. We’ve recovered millions of dollars on behalf of people like you over the years.
How Kenny Habetz Injury Law Can Help With a Product Liability Claim in Lafayette
Product liability claims can be difficult to prove. Manufacturing companies will go to great lengths to downplay your injuries and avoid taking responsibility. You should expect the insurance company to undervalue your case.
A Lafayette personal injury attorney at Kenny Habetz Injury Law can help you navigate the legal issues.
Our lawyers have been recognized again and again for our quality legal services. Our founding attorney has been listed among the Expertise Best Personal Injury Lawyers in Lafayette and the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers. We’ve also earned a spot on the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
When you hire us, you can expect us to:
- Investigate and identify the product defect
- Determine whether others have sustained similar injuries
- Assess the value of your personal injury claim
- Bring in experts who can help prove your case
- Handle all insurance negotiations on your behalf
- Fight to protect you in court if necessary
Our Lafayette personal injury lawyers will stand by your side every step of the way. We know that taking legal action can be overwhelming. We handle claims like yours every day and are well-prepared to stand up to the insurance companies. Just call for your free initial consultation today.
How Often Do Dangerous Products Reach Consumers?
You should be able to trust that the products you purchase are safe. Unfortunately, that isn’t always the case. On average, about 40 million people across the United States are injured due to products that have been recalled. Approximately 46,200 people lose their lives due to product defects each year.
Many of these dangerous products are those that we trust to improve our health. It’s estimated that about one-third of all prescription drugs that have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have unanticipated side effects. Defective medical devices caused about 1.7 million injuries and 83,000 deaths over a ten-year period.
What is My Lafayette Product Liability Case Worth?
All personal injury cases are slightly different.
Some of the most important factors that can influence the value of a personal injury claim include:
- The nature of your injuries
- The level of pain and suffering you have experienced
- The cost of your medical care and other expenses
- Your lost wages while you recover
- How the injury impacts your quality of life and lifestyle
- Whether you’ll ever return to work in the same capacity
- The circumstances of the injury and whether you share any blame
- Whether you are eligible to participate in a class action lawsuit or multi-district litigation (MDL) in state or federal courts
- Whether liability can be clearly established
If you were injured, it’s important to hire an experienced lawyer who can help you understand how much you really deserve. To discuss your case in detail, call our lawyers in Lafayette to schedule your free case evaluation today.
What Types of Damages Are Available If I Was Injured By a Defective Product?
Our Lafayette product liability attorneys will fight for the full range of compensation available in your case.
Depending on the nature of your injuries, you may be entitled to seek compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Nursing care
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
- Damages for wrongful death in fatal cases
In other words, you can seek compensation for any economic or non-economic damages you have suffered because of the defective product.
Can I Recover Damages Under Louisiana Law If I’m Being Blamed for My Own Injuries?
Insurance companies often try to blame victims for causing their own injuries. They might claim you were misusing the product, and that’s why you were injured. Even if that’s the case, manufacturers can be held liable when the misuse was reasonably foreseeable.
In cases involving negligence, Louisiana has pure comparative negligence laws. You can recover partial compensation if you were partly to blame for your injuries. For example, if you were 40% responsible, you can take home 60% of your settlement or verdict.
Don’t let the insurance companies scare you into accepting less compensation than you deserve. Contact a lawyer who can protect you from these and other insurance scare tactics.
Our Product Liability Attorneys Will Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Injuries
Defective and dangerous products can cause all types of injuries.
Our lawyers often represent injured clients who have suffered:
- Eye injuries
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Lung damage
- Serious illnesses, including cancer
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
If a dangerous product injured you or a loved one, contact our legal team today. We would be proud to stand up and fight for the fair compensation you deserve.
We Handle All Types of Product Liability Claims in Lafayette, Louisiana
At Kenny Habetz Injury Law, we handle all types of product liability cases in Lafayette, including those involving:
- Household appliances
- Batteries and electronics
- Child products, including toys, car seats, cribs, and other furniture
- Prescription drugs
- Over-the-counter drugs
- Machinery, tools, and equipment
- Medical devices
- Vehicle components, including airbags, brakes, and seat belts
- Vape pens
- 3M earplugs
- Household chemicals, lawn care products, and cleaning products
Any product can be unreasonably dangerous. Our experienced product liability lawyers are here to help you prove it. To learn more about your legal options for recovering compensation, call our law firm for a free case review today.
How Do I Prove Liability If I Was Injured Due To a Defective Product in Louisiana?
Louisiana is a strict liability state when it comes to product liability law. That means you will not be required to prove someone was negligent to recover compensation.
It may seem like that will make it easy to recover compensation for your injuries. That’s not always the case. Instead, you will have to identify the product defect that caused your injuries.
There are three primary types of defects that can create a valid product liability claim, including:
- Design defects
- Manufacturing defects
- Marketing defects
Each type of defect can make a product unreasonably dangerous for consumer use.
Design flaws are defects in the product’s design. Even when the product is assembled as intended, the product is unreasonably dangerous for consumer use.
One key issue in design defect cases involves establishing whether a reasonably safe alternative design exists. Manufacturers are required to adopt a safer design when one is available.
Courts will consider many different factors when determining whether the manufacturing company should have used a safer design, including:
- The cost of the alternate design
- Whether the product would be as effective using the alternate design
- The benefits of the product as designed
One example of a product that suffers from a design defect is Roundup weed killer. The key ingredient in the product itself has been linked to cancer.
Products that suffer from manufacturing defects would be safe if they were assembled according to their design. Instead, they become dangerous because of a mistake that occurred during the manufacturing process. The mistake may impact a single product or a batch of products.
One example of a manufacturing defect is a medication that becomes contaminated during the manufacturing process.
Some products will carry risks even when they’re manufactured properly and the safest design is used. Product manufacturers must provide adequate warning about these risks if the risk is not obvious. If they fail to provide warnings or instructions, they can be held liable for failure to warn.
How Long Do I Have To File a Product Liability Lawsuit in Louisiana?
The statute of limitations in Louisiana is only one year. If you don’t file a personal injury lawsuit within one year of the date you suffered the injury or discovered the harm the product has caused, you lose your right to sue the designers, manufacturers, and distributors for damages.
Contact a Lafayette Product Liability Lawyer for a Free Consultation
At Kenny Habetz Injury Law, we believe in holding big corporations accountable for their actions. If you or a family member were injured due to a defective product, call to learn more about how an experienced Lafayette product liability attorney can fight for you.
Our Lafayette, LA personal injury law office also provides:
- Car Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Boating Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Lafayette, LA
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Maritime Injury Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Truck Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Lafayette, LA
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Lafayette, LA