As the victim of a medical mistake, you may have the right to file an insurance claim or lawsuit against your doctor and/or the hospital in Lafayette, Louisiana where you received treatment. This could help you recover much-needed compensation for medical bills, disability, and the trauma you’ve endured.
An experienced Lafayette medical malpractice lawyer at Kenny Habetz Injury Law is here to help you fight to maximize your recovery.
Since 2010, our award-winning litigators have been leading advocates for victims of medical malpractice and families who have lost loved ones because of negligent medical care. We stand up to hospitals, insurance companies, and negligent physicians – ensuring that they are held fully accountable for the harm our clients have suffered.
The result: we’ve won millions of dollars in benefits, settlement awards, and jury verdicts.
Benefit from over a decade of experience handling complex medical malpractice litigation. Contact our law office in Lafayette, LA at (337) 399-9000 to arrange a free, no-obligation case assessment now.
How Kenny Habetz Injury Law Can Help If You’ve Been Injured Because of a Medical Error in Lafayette, LA
How can you prove that your injury, illness, or family member’s shortened lifespan is the result of a medical error? What kind of evidence will you need to make your case? What happens when the doctor or healthcare facility refuses to admit their mistakes? How much can you reasonably expect to get by filing a medical malpractice lawsuit?
Medical malpractice cases can be quite challenging, so it’s important to turn to a trusted ally for help. That’s why you shouldn’t hesitate to call our Lafayette personal injury lawyers for help.
We’ll take care of every aspect of your medical negligence claim while you spend time focused on your recovery; we’ll:
- Carefully investigate and evaluate the level of medical care you received
- Obtain an affidavit from an independent medical professional to support your allegations of medical negligence
- Analyze evidence obtained throughout the discovery process, including medical records, photographs and video footage, hospital policies and procedures, the medical professional’s file, witness statements, and more
- Consult respected medical specialists and professionals
- Handle settlement negotiations with the insurance company, hospital, and defense counsel
We’re tough negotiators who will fight day and night to get you the financial accountability you deserve. If you’re not offered a fair deal, our top-rated Louisiana trial attorneys won’t hesitate to bring your medical malpractice lawsuit to a jury.
At Kenny Habetz Injury Law, we understand that the costs of medical errors can be extraordinary. We don’t want you to avoid asking for help because you think it’ll add to your financial burden. Our medical malpractice attorneys in Lafayette represent clients on a contingency fee basis. You pay nothing unless we win your medical malpractice claim.
Contact our legal office in Lafayette, LA today to set up a time for a free consultation.
What Do I Have To Prove To Win My Medical Malpractice Claim in Lafayette, LA?
Medical malpractice is, at its core, about negligence. Healthcare providers in the state of Louisiana are expected to provide a level of care that would be expected of them, given their education, training, and experience.
Specifically, Louisiana expects medical professionals to:
- Use the degree of skill that’s ordinarily employed under similar circumstances by other physicians of the same community and locality;
- Exercise reasonable care and diligence; and
- Use their best judgment.
If a healthcare provider makes a mistake or is reckless, they can be considered negligent and, in turn, financially responsible for harm caused.
When you suffer injuries or experience the wrongful death of a family member because of a medical error, you reserve the right to file a claim against the provider.
In Louisiana, you must prove:
- The healthcare provider owed you a duty of care;
- The healthcare provider breached this duty of care by failing to meet the standard of care expected of them;
- The healthcare professional’s action(s) (or inaction) caused you to suffer an injury; and
- You’ve sustained identifiable damages.
In other words, you wouldn’t have gotten hurt if the provider had met the standard of care expected of them under Louisiana state law. They made a mistake, and your life has been turned upside-down as a result.
What Are the Most Common Types of Medical Negligence?
Many studies show that medical errors are incredibly common. In fact, they’re believed to be the third leading cause of avoidable death annually. Many acts of medical negligence go undetected or unreported, so the true number of people affected by medical errors every year is unclear.
But what types of medical mistakes and errors are doctors and healthcare professionals making?
Some of the most common types of medical negligence include:
- Failure to diagnose
- Delayed diagnosis
- Failure to treat a medical condition
- Surgical errors
- Anesthesia errors
- Birth injuries
- Medication errors
These things can happen when doctors are overworked and overtired, when physicians don’t listen to patient complaints or review patient histories, due to subpar communication between medical providers, and simple charting errors.
Our Lafayette medical malpractice attorneys will work hard to get to the bottom of why you were injured while under the care of a medical professional. We’ll fight to get you the financial accountability you deserve.
What’s My Lafayette Medical Malpractice Lawsuit Worth?
That depends. Every case will be incredibly unique. After all, your experience is wholly different than anyone else’s.
You can get a sense of what your medical malpractice claim might be worth by considering the answers to these questions:
- What types of injuries have you suffered?
- Has your expected lifespan changed because of the medical error?
- Are you able to continue working? If so, are you able to work in the same capacity?
- How long will you have to miss work?
- Are you now disabled, or do you struggle with a permanent physical or neurological impairment?
- Do you require assistance to complete everyday tasks – like bathing, eating, or driving?
- How has your ability to enjoy your life changed since you were injured?
- How clear is liability?
- How old were you at the time you were the victim of a medical mistake?
The more your life has changed, and the more pain you’ve endured because of your experience, the more you can generally expect to recover in a medical malpractice lawsuit.
Contact an experienced personal injury attorney near you in Lafayette, LA at Kenny Habetz Injury Law to find out what your medical malpractice claim might be worth. A member of our team is always available to help – 24/7/365.
What Types of Damages Can Be Awarded To Victims of Medical Errors?
When your doctor or another healthcare provider is negligent, the consequences can touch every corner of your life. Fortunately, Louisiana gives you the right to seek compensation for your financial losses as well as the trauma you’ve experienced.
Our award-winning Lafayette medical malpractice lawyers will fight to help you secure compensation for:
- Current medical expenses
- Future medical treatment and related medical bills
- Physical therapy
- Lost wages and job benefits
- Nursing care
- Medical devices or equipment
- Out-of-pocket expenses, including medical travel and lodging
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
If a medical error causes a family member’s wrongful death, you may also be entitled to compensation to help cover the costs of their funeral and/or burial.
What is the Statute of Limitations for Medical Malpractice Claims in Louisiana?
You’ll have a very limited amount of time to file a medical malpractice lawsuit in Lafayette, Louisiana.
The statute of limitations on medical malpractice cases is just one year from:
- The date of the act of medical negligence, or
- The date the injury or illness is discovered.
However, the state also has a three-year statute of repose. So, all medical negligence claims must be brought no later than three years from the date of the medical error.
Failure to bring your claim within the applicable timeframe will bar a financial recovery.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Lafayette Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Don’t try to take on a powerful insurance company, hospital, or medical provider on your own. Put yourself on level ground by calling Kenny Habetz Injury Law for help. Our respected Lafayette medical malpractice lawyers have over a decade of experience handling cases like yours, and we’re ready to be your fiercest advocate during this difficult time.
We’ve helped our clients recover millions in life-changing financial awards. Now it’s your turn to benefit from our extensive experience, powerful resources, and drive to make a change in the lives of the people we represent.
Call our law office in Lafayette, Louisiana today to get started. Your first consultation is absolutely free.
Our Lafayette, LA personal injury law office also provides:
- Car Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Lafayette, LA
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Maritime Injury Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Truck Accident Attorney in Lafayette, LA
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Lafayette, LA
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Lafayette, LA
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Lafayette, LA
- Product Liability Attorney in Lafayette, LA