Nothing can prepare you for the unexpected loss of a loved one. If you lost a family member in an accident, you deserve the time and space to grieve. You may be eligible to recover compensation from the party that caused your loved one’s death. This compensation won’t bring your loved one back, but it can help you obtain a sense of justice and financial security.
Our Crowley wrongful death lawyer At Kenny Habetz Injury Law has extensive experience handling wrongful death cases. We’ve recovered millions for our deserving clients in cases involving Crowley car accidents, truck accidents, Crowley motorcycle accidents, slip and fall and more.
Contact us today in Crowley, LA, to schedule a free consultation with a Crowley wrongful death attorney at (337) 329-8883. We work on contingency, which means we never charge attorney fees unless we recover a settlement or verdict on your behalf.
How Kenny Habetz Injury Law Can Help With a Wrongful Death Claim in Crowley
A lawsuit may feel like the last thing you need after the loss of a loved one. In reality, it may be the only way to recover compensation for the loss of support and companionship you’re experiencing.
At Kenny Habetz Injury Law, our Crowley personal injury lawyers have over a decade of experience helping families with wrongful death cases. We’ve recovered millions for victims, helping them move forward after the unexpected. Let us handle the legal aspects of your claim while you focus on your family.
When you hire our accident attorneys in Crowley, Louisiana, we will:
- Explain your rights and options under Louisiana law
- Investigate the accident to determine the cause of your loved one’s death
- Identify all liable parties in your case
- Calculate the value of your damages
- Work with leading experts to strengthen your case
- Handle all communications and negotiations on your behalf
- Take your case to court to protect your rights
You can trust us to handle your case with compassion and sensitivity. Contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation with a Crowley personal injury attorney.
What is a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
A wrongful death lawsuit is a type of personal injury case. Whereas personal injury claims focus on victims who have been seriously injured in an accident, wrongful death claims focus on surviving family members who have lost a loved one in an accident. In other words, in wrongful death cases, victims did not survive their injuries.
Family members will file their wrongful death lawsuit against the party that is responsible for their loved one’s passing. These cases might involve claims of negligence, intentional torts, or strict liability, depending on the facts.
Louisiana’s wrongful death laws permit the following family members to file a wrongful death suit:
- Surviving spouse
- Parents — if there is no spouse or children
- Siblings — if there is no spouse, children, or parents
- Grandparents — if there is no surviving spouse, children, parents, or siblings
Fortunately, this law includes biological families and adoptive families.
How Common Are Fatal Accidents in Crowley?
Louisiana has more fatal accidents than you might think. In 2021, the state saw 997 motor vehicle accident fatalities — up from 828 fatalities the year before. This worked out to an average of three deaths per day. Forty percent of fatal crashes involved alcohol.
That same year, there were 141 fatal workplace injuries/illnesses throughout the state. Transportation accidents caused the majority of these deaths, followed by exposure to harmful substances. Men made up the largest demographic of workplace deaths (135).
What is My Leesville Wrongful Death Case Worth?
Wrongful death cases tend to be among the highest-value personal injury claims. Nonetheless, it’s impossible to know your case’s value without examining the facts of the accident and the damages that resulted.
Several factors will likely determine your case’s worth, including:
- Your loved one’s medical expenses after the accident
- Your family member’s age and life expectancy
- Whether the decedent had surviving dependents
- Your loved one’s income and future earning potential
- The type of accident and the identity of the defendant
- Available insurance coverages
- Whether your loved one shared fault for their accident
- The impact the loss has had on your life
It’s hard to put a monetary value on a life. However, it’s the only way to ensure you get the compensation you need to move forward after your loss.
Contact Kenny Habetz Injury Law today to schedule a free case review to learn more about the value of your case.
What Damages Are Available in a Wrongful Death Case?
Your family will be entitled to two main types of damages in a wrongful death claim. Economic damages will compensate for losses with a financial value. Non-economic damages will cover losses without a monetary value.
Examples of economic damages might include:
- Medical costs between the date of the accident and the date of your loved one’s death
- Funeral costs and burial expenses
- Lost income and financial support caused by the death
- Loss of household services
- Loss of inheritance
Examples of non-economic damages are:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and PTSD
- Loss of support and parental guidance
- Loss of companionship
Rare cases might include punitive damages. These damages punish the defendant rather than compensate the surviving family members. Wrongful death cases involving drunk or drugged driving might be eligible for punitive damages.
Can I Recover Damages If My Loved One is Being Blamed for a Fatal Accident in Louisiana?
It might seem unthinkable that an insurance company or another defendant might blame your loved one for their death. However, insurance companies can and will do this in order to avoid liability for your wrongful death case.
Louisiana has pure comparative fault rules. The good news is that you can recover damages if your loved one is being blamed for an accident. However, a court or insurance company can reduce your compensation to account for the decedent’s percentage of fault. For example, if your loved one was 15% to blame for their accident, you can only recover 85% of your damages.
An experienced wrongful death lawyer in Crowley can help protect you from unfounded accusations of comparative fault. Our law firm can ensure you get all the money you deserve – not just some.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Fatal Accident in Louisiana?
You will have to show the following:
- The defendant owed your loved one a duty of care. Duties arise from the law or a relationship between the parties.
- You must show the defendant breached their duty. You will typically do this by proving they failed to act like a reasonable person.
- The breach caused your loved one’s death.
- Your family sustained damages.
Your family might have other causes of action if your loved one’s death was not the result of negligence. For instance, you might have a strict liability case if your family member died due to a dog attack or product defect. Alternatively, you might have an intentional tort case if your loved one’s death was the result of an assault.
Whatever the cause of action, our personal injury attorneys in Crowley can help you prove your case. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.
How Long Do I Have to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Louisiana?
The statute of limitations in Louisiana is short. You will typically only have one year to file a wrongful death claim. The clock starts ticking on the date of your family member’s death. If you fail to file your case before the deadline, you will be barred from recovering damages.
Time is of the essence. Don’t wait to get started. Contact us today to schedule a free initial case consultation with a wrongful death attorney in Crowley.
Contact a Crowley Wrongful Death Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Our Crowley wrongful death lawyers are here for you during this difficult time. Let us take over the fight to get your family justice and financial compensation after your loved one’s death. We will put decades of experience and skill behind your claim.
Contact our law firm today to schedule a 100% free consultation with our compassionate legal team. We’re standing by to help.
Crowley Emergency Room
- Acadia General Hospital: Emergency Room – 1305 Crowley Rayne Hwy, Crowley, LA 70526
Crowley Physical Therapists
- Thrive Physical Therapy – Crowley – 502 N Parkerson Ave, Crowley, LA 70526
- Eric Lambousy Physical Therapy and Wellness – 1455 Wright Ave Suite A, Crowley, LA 70526
- Physical Therapy Clinic-Rayne – 500 W Branche St, Rayne, LA 70578
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Our Crowley, LA personal injury law office also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Crowley, LA
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Crowley, LA
- Car Accident Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Crowley, LA
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Crowley, LA
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Crowley, LA
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Product Liability Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Truck Accident Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Workers Compensation Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Crowley, LA