Did you or a family member sustain injuries in a construction accident in Crowley, LA? Injured construction workers often have rights under Louisiana personal injury laws in addition to workers’ compensation. An experienced Crowley construction accident lawyer at Kenny Habetz Injury Law can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more.
Our lawyer has over a decade of experience fighting for injured workers like you. We’ve used our experience to recover millions of dollars on behalf of accident victims.
How Kenny Habetz Injury Law Can Help After a Construction Accident in Crowley, LA
Despite safety regulations, construction workers in Louisiana are injured all the time. Most injured workers know that they’re entitled to workers’ comp benefits. However, many don’t expect their employer and insurance company to fight them for every dollar.
At Kenny Habetz Injury Lawyers, we’ve been recognized again and again for our exceptional legal services. Our Crowley personal injury attorneys have been recognized by the National Trial Lawyer as “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Hiring our legal team means you’ll have an advocate to:
- Thoroughly investigate the circumstances of the accident
- Identify all parties who share fault for your injuries
- Calculate your case value
- Defend you if your claim is denied or undervalued
- Protect you if the doctor pressures you to return to work before you’ve recovered
- Negotiate with the insurance companies for a fair compensation award
- Represent you at any hearings and handle all paperwork
Recovering compensation for a work injury shouldn’t be so difficult. Unfortunately, many injured construction workers have to fight for fair compensation. Call today to learn more about how a personal injury lawyer in Crowley, LA can help with your case.
How Common Are Construction Accidents in Louisiana?
Every construction worker knows that the industry can be dangerous. According to data provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), private employers in Louisiana reported 141 workplace deaths in 2021. Overall, 31 of those workplace fatalities occurred in the construction industry.
In other words, about 22% of all workplace fatalities were in the construction industry.
Of course, most workplace injuries are not fatal. According to the Louisiana Workforce Commission, thousands of additional non-fatal construction accident injuries were reported across the State of Louisiana in 2021.
At Kenny Habetz Injury Law, we handle all types of construction accident cases, including those involving:
- Scaffolding accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Building collapse
- Scaffolding collapse
- Fires and explosions
- Falls from roofs, ladders, and other heights
- Defective work tools and equipment
- Electric shock
- Nail gun accidents
- Trenching accidents
- Forklift accidents
- Crane accidents
- Exposure to toxic materials
- Car accidents
- Trucking accidents
It’s common to have questions about your legal options after a workplace accident. Our construction accident lawyer in Crowley is here to help in any way we can. Give us a quick call today to schedule a free case review to learn more.
What Options Do I Have for Recovering Compensation After a Construction Accident in Crowley?
Injured construction workers have two options for recovering compensation: workers’ compensation and state personal injury laws.
Nearly all injured employees in Louisiana are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. Under Louisiana law, your right to workers’ comp starts on your first day of employment. Workers’ compensation is a no-fault system that provides valuable benefits to injured workers. However, you forfeit your right to sue your employer in exchange for these benefits.
It’s also possible that you could have the right to file a lawsuit. If a negligent third party caused your accident, you have the right to sue for damages.
For example, you could have a valid personal injury claim if your accident was caused by:
- A negligent driver in a car accident
- Trucking companies
- A property owner who failed to maintain their property
- Manufacturers of defective work equipment
- Third-party suppliers or vendors
- General contractors
Our construction accident attorney at Kenny Habetz Injury Lawyers will carefully evaluate your case to determine who was responsible.
How Much Is My Case Worth?
The value of your case will depend on the laws that apply to your case.
Your workers’ compensation claim value depends on:
- Your average weekly wages prior to the accident
- The cost of your medical treatment
- Whether you are totally or partially disabled
- The duration of your recovery
- Whether you will suffer any permanent impairment
Injured workers in Louisiana receive about ⅔ of their average weekly wages prior to the disability. However, your weekly benefits are also capped by state law.
Additional factors are relevant when assessing your case value if you’re entitled to file a personal injury lawsuit. That’s because you can also seek compensation for non-economic damages, like pain and suffering, PTSD, and emotional distress.
What Types of Compensation Are Available to Construction Accident Victims?
All injured workers are entitled to compensation for all reasonable and necessary medical expenses under state workers’ comp laws.
The types of workers’ compensation disability benefits that you receive will depend on the nature of your injuries.
Those disability benefits include:
- Temporary Total Disability (TTD) Benefits
- Permanent Total Disability (PTD) Benefits
- Permanent Partial Disability (PPD) Benefits
- Supplemental Earnings Benefits (SEB), if you can work in a limited capacity during recovery
- Lump sum disability benefits if your injuries were catastrophic
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Mileage reimbursement for travel to and from medical appointments
- Death benefits for survivors of fatal construction accident victims
If you can file a third-party claim under Louisiana personal injury laws, you may seek compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses not covered by workers’ comp
- 100% of your lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
- And more
Employers and insurance companies don’t always make it easy to know whether you’re receiving what’s fair. Contact our Crowley construction accident attorney today to learn more about your legal rights.
Can I Recover Damages If I Share Responsibility for a Construction Accident in Louisiana?
With limited exceptions, you can receive workers’ compensation benefits even if you caused the accident.
The exceptions include:
- Willful acts to cause the accident
- The accident was caused by drug or alcohol use
If you were partly responsible, your personal injury settlement or verdict can be reduced in proportion to your share of fault under Louisiana’s pure comparative negligence laws.
Our Construction Accident Attorneys Will Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Injuries
Some common examples of the types of injuries sustained by construction workers include:
- Facial injuries
- Broken bones
- Herniated discs and other back injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Hearing damage
- Organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Our Crowley construction accident lawyer is here to help regardless of the types of injuries you have suffered. Contact our personal injury law firm today to learn more about legal representation.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Construction Accidents in Crowley, Louisiana?
Construction sites are dangerous places. That said, when everyone is careful, things should run smoothly. Unfortunately, most construction accidents happen because someone was careless or cut corners to maximize profits.
Some of the leading causes of construction accidents in Louisiana include:
- Failure to provide proper safety equipment
- Lack of fall protection or guard rails on work equipment
- Defective scaffolding, work equipment, or tools
- Negligently installed scaffolding
- Negligent supervision of employees
- Negligent hiring practices
- Failure to communicate
- Dangerous premises or negligent property maintenance
- Failure to adequately maintain work equipment and tools
- Failure to follow Louisiana state and OSHA federal safety regulations
- Debris and other trip hazards
Determining the cause of your accident is critical to maximizing your settlement or verdict. Once we determine who was responsible for your accident, we can determine the laws that apply in your case.
Are you ready to learn more about your legal rights after a construction injury? Contact our legal team in Crowley for a free case review today.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Filing a Claim in Louisiana Construction Accident Cases?
You should notify your employer about your accident as soon as possible. If you wait too long, you could jeopardize your right to benefits. The formal deadline for filing a claim under Louisiana workers’ compensation law depends on the type of benefits involved. In most cases, you’ll have either one year or three years to take legal action.
The statute of limitations in Louisiana personal injury cases is only one year. If a negligent third party caused your accident, you must file a personal injury lawsuit within one year of your accident and injury.
Contact a Crowley Construction Accident Lawyer for a Free Initial Consultation Today
Workplace injury cases can be particularly complex. If you were injured in a construction site accident, contact Kenny Habetz Injury Law for legal help today. An experienced Crowley construction accident attorney can make a huge difference in your compensation award.
Our Crowley, LA personal injury law office also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Crowley, LA
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Crowley, LA
- Car Accident Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Crowley, LA
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Crowley, LA
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Crowley, LA
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Product Liability Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Truck Accident Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Workers Compensation Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Crowley, LA
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Crowley, LA