Traumatic brain injury can cause short and long-term conditions in Crowley, LA. In addition, some brain injury victims develop debilitating impairments. If you or a family member sustained a brain injury because of another party’s negligence, our Crowley brain injury lawyer at Kenny Habetz Injury Law can help.
With over a decade of legal experience and numerous awards from legal organizations, our top-rated Louisiana personal injury lawyer has what it takes to win cases for our clients with cases involving Crowley car accidents, truck accidents, Crowley motorcycle accidents, wrongful death and more. Our attorney has been named to The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 and Top 100 Lists.
Our founding attorney Kenney Habetz is also a Multi-million Dollar Advocates forum member. He has recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. He was also on the 2022 Best Personal Injury Lawyers list in Lafayette by Expertise.com.
Contact our law office at (337) 329-8883 to schedule your free consultation with a Crowley brain injury attorney. Let us help you recover compensation from the party who caused your pain and suffering.
How Kenny Habetz Injury Law Can Help You With Your Brain Injury Claim in Crowley
A brain injury in Crowley, Louisiana, can change the course of your life. It could prevent you from returning to work, caring for your family, or remembering how to do basic life tasks. The party responsible for causing your brain injury should be held accountable for the damages they cause.
However, at-fault parties and their insurance companies have no interest in compensating you for your damages. Instead, they will try to pay as little as possible to settle your claim.
When you hire our top-rated brain injury lawyer at Kenny Habetz Injury Law, we will:
- Investigate what happened to you to determine who caused your brain injury
- Work with your doctors and medical specialists to determine the severity of your brain injury
- Document damages to calculate how much your case is worth, taking into consideration future damages and impairments
- Handle all aspects of your brain injury case
- Negotiate to get you the total value of all damages in your case
- Argue your case before a jury if that is the best way to protect you
Call now for a free case evaluation with an experienced Crowley personal injury attorney.
The Types of Brain Injuries Included in Crowley Personal Injury Cases
The types of brain injuries people sustain in accidents include, but are not limited to:
- Coup-contrecoup brain injury
- Skull fractures
- Swelling of the brain (edema)
- Oxygen deprivation (hypoxia)
- Subdural hematomas
- Diffuse axonal injury (DAI)
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage (bleeding surrounding the brain)
- Birth injuries
A traumatic brain injury can range from mild to traumatic. A mild traumatic brain injury is also called a concussion.
However, there is nothing “mild” about a brain injury. Therefore, you should always seek immediate medical treatment for head injuries. A brain injury might not present symptoms immediately after an accident, but you could develop life-threatening conditions hours or days after the brain injury.
What Are the Short-Term and Long-Term Consequences of a Brain Injury?
Traumatic brain injuries are considered catastrophic injuries because of the potential for life-threatening conditions and permanent disabilities. Sustaining a catastrophic injury can alter your life forever.
A brain injury can impact numerous functions. You might experience impairments in your motor function and cognitive abilities. Brain injuries can also cause emotional and psychological issues.
Potential consequences of a brain injury include, but are not limited to:
- Sensory problems, including hearing loss, vision loss, and changes in taste, touch, and smell
- Nerve damage
- Problems with decision-making, reasoning, and memory
- Speech, speaking, reading, and communication problems
- Blood clots
- An increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease
- Infections in the brain
Even with intensive therapy and treatment, some people develop permanent impairments from a brain injury. The brain controls all bodily functions. Even a minor injury could disrupt the messages to and from the brain that control those functions.
At Kenny Habetz Injury Law, We Handle All Types of Cases Involving Brain Injuries
Thousands of people die and sustain injuries each year because of traumatic brain injuries. A brain injury can occur because of an accident or traumatic event.
Common causes of brain injuries in Crowley include:
- Motor vehicle accidents, including trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, cars, pedestrians, and buses
- Assaults and violence, including gunshot wounds
- Workplace accidents
- Defective products (product liability claims)
- Slip and fall accidents and
- School and playground accidents
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Construction accidents
- Recreation and sporting activities
- Birth injuries
- Boating accidents
- Construction accidents
- Medical malpractice
The party’s action could have been intentional. If so, you can pursue them for an intentional torts claim. However, many brain injuries are caused by negligence instead.
How Do I Prove Negligence in a Crowley Brain Injury Case?
Most personal injury claims rely on establishing the four legal elements of negligence to prove and win your case. You have the burden of proving:
- The person who caused your brain injury owed you a duty of care
- The person breached the duty of care through their actions or inactions
- The breach of duty was the cause of your brain injury
- You suffered damages because of the brain injury
Once you prove your case by a preponderance of the evidence, you can receive compensation for your injuries and damages.
What Damages Can I Receive for a Crowley Traumatic Brain Injury Claim?
Personal injury claims for a traumatic brain injury include amounts to reimburse you for your economic damages. However, the claims also include amounts to compensate you for non-economic damages.
The types of damages you could receive for a brain injury claim include the following:
- Medical bills and expenses, including bills for ongoing medical treatment
- Long-term nursing and personal care
- Disabilities and impairments
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Reduced quality of life
- Lost wages, benefits, and other income
- Emotional distress
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Diminished quality of life
Typically, the value of your case increases as the severity of your brain injury increases. The cost of treating brain injuries can be high. Additionally, you might require in-home nursing care and assistance with personal care and household chores. Your damages increase each day you cannot perform your normal activities and work.
If a person’s brain injury results in death, the family can seek compensation for damages by filing a wrongful death action. However, regardless of whether you file a wrongful death or personal injury lawsuit, you have the burden of proving your case.
Therefore, work with our Crowley brain injury attorneys to build a strong case based on the evidence we gather. Do not accept a settlement offer without talking to an attorney. Your claim could be worth much more, but the insurance company may be trying to convince you that their offer is fair.
Can I Sue the Party Who Caused My Brain Injury if I’m Partially at Fault?
Some states prohibit accident victims from receiving money for an injury they are partially to blame for causing. However, Louisiana is not one of those states. Instead, Louisiana’s comparative fault law allows the court to reduce your jury award by your percentage of fault.
Therefore, suppose the jury awards you $1 million for your brain injury. However, the jurors decided you were 10% to blame for the cause of the car accident that resulted in your brain injury. Therefore, the court reduces the award by $100,000 (10% of $1 million).
What Is the Deadline for Filing Brain Injury Claims in Louisiana?
A statute of limitations is the deadline for filing a personal injury lawsuit. The Louisiana statute of limitations is very short.
Injured parties usually have just one year after their injury to file a claim. So what happens if you miss the deadline? The judge would likely dismiss any lawsuit you tried to bring, and you would lose your ability to pursue compensation.
There could be an exception to the statute of limitations for brain injury claims. Call us for a free appointment with a Crowley brain injury lawyer to discuss your case.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Crowley Brain Injury Lawyer?
Our Crowley brain injury lawyer understands that an injury can cause financial hardships for the victim and their family. We do not want your financial situation to prevent you from getting help with a brain injury case. Therefore, we work on a contingency basis.
With a contingency fee, you do not pay a retainer fee when you hire Kenny Habetz Injury Law to handle your case. Instead, you only pay us for our legal services after we recover compensation for your personal injury case. Our legal fees are based on a percentage of your recovery amount.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Crowley Brain Injury Lawyers
Are you ready to start pursuing a personal injury claim for a traumatic brain injury? Our legal team at Kenny Habetz Injury Law is ready to help you by fighting to get you the money you deserve.
Contact our law firm to schedule a free case review with our Crowley brain injury attorney. Let us pursue a legal claim while you focus on your recovery.
Our Crowley, LA personal injury law office also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Crowley, LA
- Car Accident Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Crowley, LA
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Crowley, LA
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Crowley, LA
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Product Liability Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Truck Accident Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Workers Compensation Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Crowley, LA
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Crowley, LA