Pedestrian deaths are increasing by a rate of 54%, which is much faster than all other traffic deaths (13%). In addition to being deadly, pedestrian accidents cause traumatic injuries and life-threatening conditions. If you were injured in a pedestrian accident in Crowley, Louisiana, you deserve to be compensated for the injuries and damages caused by the negligent driver.
Our Crowley pedestrian accident lawyer at Kenny Habetz Injury Law has more than a decade of experience helping injured victims recover compensation for damages. We have recovered millions of dollars in settlements and jury awards for our clients. Our Louisiana personal injury lawyer will diligently protect your rights after a pedestrian accident.
How Can a Crowley Personal Injury Lawyer Help If You’ve Been Hurt in a Pedestrian Accident?
Experience and knowledge of the legal process matter when hiring an attorney for your personal injury case. A passion for handling cases related to personal injury laws is also important.
Attorney Kenny Habetz has the experience and skills to handle all types of personal injury claims. He is a fierce advocate for his clients during settlement negotiations and trials. Attorney Habetz has been listed in the Top 40 Under 40 attorneys by The National Trial Lawyers and recognized by Expertise.com and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
When you hire Kenny Habetz Injury Law to file a personal injury claim after a pedestrian accident, you can trust that we will:
- Initiate an independent investigation to determine why you were hit by a motor vehicle
- Gather evidence proving the driver caused the accident, including working with expert witnesses when necessary
- File an insurance claim and deal with the insurance company for you
- Calculate how much your accident claim is worth after carefully documenting your damages
- Vigorously negotiate settlements and argue in court for the full value of all damages
- Take legal action by filing a pedestrian accident lawsuit, if necessary
If you were involved in a car accident as a pedestrian, we want to help you receive financial compensation for your case. Call us today to schedule a free case evaluation with a Crowley car accident lawyer.
How Often Do Pedestrian Accidents Occur in Crowley, LA?
Pedestrian deaths remain historically high in the United States. In 2021, the largest number of pedestrians were killed in traffic accidents in four decades.
From 2019 through 2021, traffic fatalities increased for pedestrians each year. The number of pedestrian deaths in Louisiana during 2020 was 149, up from 122 deaths in 2019. In 2021, 175 people died in pedestrian accidents in Louisiana.
In 2022, four pedestrians died in Acadia Parish, which accounted for 26% of the traffic deaths that year. Additionally, 11 pedestrians were injured.
What Are Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Crowley, LA?
Negligence is the most common cause of pedestrian accidents. A driver or pedestrian fails to pay attention or does something that causes the crash.
Common reasons for Crowley pedestrian accidents include:
- Distractions, including distracted driving and walking
- Fatigued and drowsy driving
- Driving at excessive speeds
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Trying to “beat a red light”
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Tailgating (pushing another car into a pedestrian)
- Improperly designed intersections and crosswalks
- Malfunctioning lights and crossing signals
- Low visibility
- Vehicles making right turns on red or making a left turn with a green light
- Poor weather conditions
Determining the cause of a pedestrian accident is crucial. You can only recover compensation for your injuries if you prove the driver caused the collision.
Proving Negligence in a Crowley Pedestrian Accident Case
The injured pedestrian has the burden of proving fault for an accident.
In most cases, proving negligence requires evidence establishing:
- The motorist owed the pedestrian a legal duty of care. Drivers have a duty to obey traffic laws and use reasonable care to avoid accidents.
- The motorist breached the duty of care because of their conduct. For example, running a red light would be a breach of duty.
- The motorist’s conduct was the direct and proximate cause of the pedestrian accident.
- The pedestrian sustained injuries and damages.
Our legal team will collect evidence to prove your claim. Evidence can include accident reports, medical records, video of the collision, and accident scene photographs. We can also use testimony from expert witnesses and eyewitnesses.
Each case is unique. Therefore, the types of evidence differ. Our Crowley pedestrian accident attorneys will use all available resources to gather evidence to build a solid case for liability.
Kenny Habetz Injury Law Handles All Types of Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Pedestrians have no protection from injuries when a vehicle hits them. Their bodies receive the full force of the impact of the car. Therefore, pedestrians sustain catastrophic injuries in accidents.
Common pedestrian accident injuries include:
- Internal organ damage
- Traumatic brain injury
- Chest injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Loss of limbs and amputations
- Fractures and broken bones
- Crushing injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Head injuries
- Wrongful death
Most pedestrians are rushed to the emergency room for treatment after an accident. Prompt medical care is crucial after a pedestrian accident.
Refusing medical care could hurt your personal injury case. You must link the accident to your injuries. Medical records are essential evidence for proving that the crash caused your injuries.
What Should I Do After a Pedestrian Accident in Crowley?
The moments after you are hit by a car are overwhelming. You are in shock, and your physical injuries might make it impossible to think clearly. However, the steps you take could help an injury case.
Steps to take after a Crowley pedestrian accident include:
- Call 911 to report the crash and request police and emergency medical services
- If possible, ask eyewitnesses for their contact information
- Take photographs of the accident scene and make a video with your cell phone
- Do not discuss the accident with anyone other than the police officer
- Never admit you could be at fault or partially to blame for causing the pedestrian accident
- Seek immediate medical treatment for your injuries
Contact our law firm as soon as possible to talk with a lawyer. An insurance adjuster might contact you before you can speak with a lawyer. It is never wise to agree to a recorded statement or to answer questions without legal advice.
Types of Damages You Can Receive in a Louisiana Pedestrian Accident Claim
Therefore, you could receive compensation for your:
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitation treatments, including occupational and physical therapy
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
- Impairments and disabilities
- Lost wages
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- A decrease in earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
The factors in your case determine your compensation. Generally, the value of damages increases as the severity of your injuries increases. However, other factors could impact the settlement amount, including shared blame, available insurance coverage, the parties involved in the case, and whether you sustained permanent impairments.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Partially to Blame for My Pedestrian Accident in Louisiana?
In some states, being partially to blame for causing your injury would bar you from receiving any compensation for a claim. However, Louisiana adopted a pure comparative fault law.
You can still receive money after a pedestrian accident if you are partially at fault for the cause of the accident. However, your compensation is reduced by your percentage of fault. Therefore, if a jury finds you were 30% to blame for the crash, you only receive 70% of the award for damages.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Crowley?
Our Crowley pedestrian accident attorney at Kenny Habetz Injury Law takes cases based on a contingency fee. A contingency fee is a percentage of the amount recovered for the case.
Therefore, there are no upfront fees to hire a pedestrian accident attorney in Crowley. Instead, we get paid when you get paid. Our fees are deducted from the settlement amount or jury award.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for a Crowley Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit?
Each state has a statute of limitations that restricts the time someone has to file a personal injury claim. Louisiana has one of the shortest deadlines for filing personal injury lawsuits.
Most pedestrian accident claims must be filed within one year of the accident date. If you miss the deadline, a judge will likely dismiss your lawsuit.
Exceptions exist to the statute of limitations. It is always in your best interest to talk with a Crowley personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after your accident.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Crowley Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Car accidents involving pedestrians can be complicated injury claims. You should be focused on recovering from your injuries instead of fighting with the insurance company for the money to pay your medical expenses and other costs.
Contact Kenny Habetz Injury Law to schedule a free case review with an experienced Crowley pedestrian accident attorney. You are not alone. Our legal team is here to provide the support, legal advice, and guidance you need after an accident.
Our Crowley, LA personal injury law office also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Crowley, LA
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Crowley, LA
- Car Accident Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Crowley, LA
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Crowley, LA
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Crowley, LA
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Product Liability Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Truck Accident Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Workers Compensation Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Crowley, LA
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Crowley, LA