Did you or a family member suffer injuries because of a dangerous or defective product? Product manufacturers in Crowley, LA, can be held strictly liable for damages. An experienced Crowley product liability lawyer at Kenny Habetz Injury Law can help you fight to recover money for medical bills, lost income, pain, suffering, and more.
Our lawyer has over a decade of experience in personal injury law. We’ve used our skills to recover tens of millions of dollars on behalf of injured clients over the years.
How Kenny Habetz Injury Law Can Help Me File a Product Liability Claim in Crowley, LA
You expect the products you purchase to function as intended. You don’t typically expect them to contain hidden dangers that might hurt you. After all, strict regulations govern companies that manufacture and sell consumer products.
If you’ve been injured using a dangerous product, an experienced Crowley personal injury attorney can help you fight to recover fair compensation from the responsible parties.
At Kenny Habetz Injury Law, our founding attorney has been recognized as a
Our lawyer has the experience and resources to:
- Launch an investigation to identify the product defect
- Determine whether others have suffered similar injuries
- Calculate your case value
- Hire experts who can strengthen your claim
- Evaluate your rights under existing settlements or Multi-District Litigation (MDL)
- Handle all insurance negotiations on your behalf
You don’t have to rely on a legal directory to find an attorney who specializes in product liability law. Our Crowley personal injury lawyer can handle all the legal issues. All you have to do is call our law firm for the legal advice you deserve today.
Statistics on Defective and Dangerous Products
Dangerous products reach the consumer market on a regular basis. Even when products are approved by the FDA, they have the potential to cause serious harm. In fact, about one in every three FDA-approved prescription drugs have unintended side effects.
In the United States, an average of 46,200 people are killed because of defective products each year. Every year, about 40 million injuries are related to products that have been recalled.
Overview of Louisiana’s Product Liability Laws
Companies are responsible for ensuring that the products they manufacture and sell are reasonably safe for consumer use. They’re also responsible for warning consumers about hidden risks and dangers.
When someone is hurt by a defective product, product liability laws hold manufacturing companies liable for damages. Product liability claims can be based on strict liability or negligence, depending on the facts.
How Do I Establish My Right to Compensation Under Louisiana Product Liability Law?
Most car accident victims must prove that someone else’s negligence caused their injuries to recover compensation. Product liability cases are different.
Instead of proving negligence, victims can recover damages based on strict liability theories if they can prove:
- The product was defective
- The risk of danger was not obvious
- They were injured because of the product defect
There are three primary types of product defects: manufacturing defects, design defects, and marketing defects.
Manufacturing defects are caused by mistakes made during the manufacturing process. One simple error can make an otherwise safe product unreasonably dangerous.
Manufacturing defects often only impact a batch of products. Sometimes, only a single product is impacted. One example of a manufacturing defect is a contaminated batch of prescription drugs.
To establish liability based on a manufacturing defect, you must prove that the product was not assembled as designed and was unreasonably dangerous because of it.
When a product’s design is defective, it is unreasonably dangerous even if assembled according to specifications. If a safer alternative design is available, product manufacturers are required to use that design.
To determine whether a safer design exists, courts consider many factors, including:
- The nature of the danger as the product is currently designed
- Whether the product can function as intended with the alternate design
- The cost of adopting the alternative design
- The usefulness of the product as designed
One example of a product that arguably suffers from a design defect is Roundup weed killer. That’s because one key ingredient in the product may unreasonably increase the risk of developing cancer.
Not all product dangers can be eliminated entirely. Even when the safest design is used, some products will still carry risks. When the benefits of the product outweigh those risks, the manufacturer isn’t required to make changes.
Instead, they’re required to provide adequate warning about non-obvious dangers. For example, prescription drugs often carry extensive warnings of potential side effects. Manufacturing companies that fail to provide those warnings can be held liable when patients are injured.
How Much Is My Crowley Product Liability Case Worth?
The value of a personal injury case depends on many different factors, including:
- The nature of your injuries
- Whether your injuries are temporary or permanent
- The cost of your medical care and other expenses
- How the injury impacts your current and anticipated future earnings
- The amount of pain and trauma you have experienced
- The nature of the product defect
- Whether the manufacturer knew or reasonably should have known about the danger
- Whether you were using the product as intended
- How the injury will impact your future
Our team at Kenny Habetz Injury Lawyers can help you understand how much your case is really worth. Schedule a free consultation today to get started.
What Types of Damages Are Available if I Was Injured Due to a Defective Product?
Damages in Louisiana are classified based on whether they represent financial or non-financial losses.
Examples of your economic damages include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Property damage
Your non-economic damages award may provide compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Depression or anxiety
- Loss of consortium
If the defendant knew about the danger and recklessly disregarded the risk, courts may sometimes award punitive damages as punishment.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for Causing My Own Injuries in Louisiana?
Companies often claim that injured parties are responsible for their own injuries. In product liability cases, they typically accuse victims of using the product incorrectly.
Louisiana has pure comparative negligence laws. In cases based on negligence, your compensation can be reduced in proportion to your own percentage of fault.
That said, manufacturing companies are also responsible when consumers misuse the product in a way that is reasonably foreseeable. Cases involving shared fault can be extremely complex. It’s important to have an experienced attorney by your side to defend you.
Our Crowley Product Liability Attorneys Will Fight To Recover Full Compensation for All of Your Injuries
Defective products have the potential to cause serious injuries.
At Kenny Habetz Injury Law, our team often represents clients who have suffered:
- Cuts and lacerations
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Neck injuries
- Internal organ damage, including lung damage
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Illnesses, including cancer and respiratory diseases
- Amputations and loss of limbs
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Do you have questions about your legal options? Contact our law firm in Crowley for a free case review today. We’ll fight to recover the full compensation you deserve.
Our Team Handles All Types of Product Liability Claims in Crowley, Louisiana
At Kenny Habetz Injury Law, we handle all types of product liability cases, including those involving:
- Prescription medications
- Over-the-counter drugs
- Medical devices
- Children’s toys, clothing, and furniture
- Office equipment
- Household appliances
- Sporting and fitness equipment
- Recreational products
- Vehicle parts, including airbags and seatbelts
- Household cleaners
- Batteries and chargers
- Power tools
- Heavy machinery and equipment
- Pesticides and weed killer
- Cosmetics and personal care products
You don’t have to wait for a class action lawsuit to take legal action. If you believe you were injured due to a defective product, call our law firm or use our online contact form to schedule a free case review today.
How Long Do I Have To File a Product Liability Lawsuit if I Was Hurt By a Defective Product in Louisiana?
The statute of limitations is a deadline for taking legal action after an injury. In Louisiana, most injured parties have only one year to file a personal injury lawsuit.
Typically, the one-year period starts to run on the date of your injury. In cases involving illnesses that develop over time, you have one year from the date you discovered, or reasonably should have discovered, that you were harmed due to a dangerous product.
Contact a Crowley Product Liability Attorney for a Free Consultation Today
If you or a loved one were harmed by a dangerous product, contact an experienced Crowley product liability lawyer today. At Kenny Habetz Injury Lawyers, your initial consultation is always free of charge.
Our Crowley, LA personal injury law office also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Crowley, LA
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Crowley, LA
- Car Accident Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Crowley, LA
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Crowley, LA
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Crowley, LA
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Truck Accident Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Crowley, LA
- Workers Compensation Attorney in Crowley, LA
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Crowley, LA
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Crowley, LA