Louisiana child car seat laws are implemented to protect children in the event of a collision.
Unfortunately, car seats can’t prevent all harm. Negligence and intentional torts on Louisiana roads can cause injuries that affect a child’s life forever. Parents and guardians can file personal injury claims and lawsuits on behalf of their children seeking compensation for their damages.
Our Lafayette injury attorneys at Kenny Habetz Injury Law fight to protect the rights of children injured in car accidents. We work with parents to get their children the compensation they deserve.
Money does not ease the pain and suffering your child experienced, but it can provide for your child’s care and needs as they continue recovering from their injuries.
If your child was injured in a crash in Lafayette, LA, you have legal options. Call now for a free consultation to discuss your child’s injury with a Lafayette car accident attorney. Call us at (337) 399-9000.
How Can a Lafayette Injury Attorney Help If Your Child Was Injured in a Car Accident?
It is terrifying when your child is injured in an accident. Your priority is your child’s physical and emotional health. Therefore, our legal team at Kenny Habetz Injury Law will handle all aspects of a legal claim for your child.
Numerous organizations have recognized our founding lawyer Kenny Habetz for his legal services to clients. He has been recognized by The National Trial Lawyers, Expertise.com, and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Since opening the law firm, we have recovered millions of dollars for our clients.
When you hire our top-rated personal injury lawyers in Lafayette, Louisiana, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the cause of the car accident that injured your child
- Identify all responsible parties
- File insurance claims and handle all aspects of the claim process
- Document your child’s damages to calculate the maximum value for the personal injury claim
- Work with accident reconstructionists, medical specialists, developmental experts, and other expert witnesses
- Aggressively pursue a settlement that fairly compensates your child for damages
- File a personal injury lawsuit and advocate for your child’s best interest in court
Child injury claims are complicated personal injury cases. There could be special rules that apply. At Kenny Habetz Injury Law, we have experience handling these claims to protect children injured by negligent and reckless drivers.
Contact our law firm today to schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced child injury lawyer in Lafayette, LA.
Car Accidents Are a Leading Cause of Child Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents continue to be one of the leading causes of death and injury for children in the United States. More than 63,000 children under the age of 12 years old were injured in car crashes in 2020. Just over 600 children died that year in car accidents.
Common injuries children suffer in car accidents include, but are not limited to:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Soft tissue injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Paralysis and spinal cord injuries
- Vision and hearing loss
- Severe scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of limbs and amputations
Children injured in car accidents can experience developmental, cognitive, and emotional impairments. A child’s injury could result in a lifelong impairment that severely decreases their quality of life. Therefore, it is crucial to obtain compensation for continued care and medical treatment.
Louisiana Car Seat Laws Help Reduce Child Injuries in Crashes
The CDC reports that car seat use reduces the risk of injury for children in a car accident by up to 82 percent compared to seat belt use alone. A booster seat can reduce the risk of injury for children between four and eight years old by 45 percent. It recommends that children 12 years and younger be secured in the back seat with an age-appropriate car seat, booster seat, or seat belt.
Louisiana has car seat laws that require parents to use specific child restraints based on a child’s age.
A summary of Louisiana child car seat laws includes:
- Birth to 2 years old – Ride in a rear-facing child safety seat
- Two years old – Ride in a forward-facing child safety seat until the child exceeds the maximum height and weight for the car seat
- Four years old – Ride in a seat belt positioning child booster seat until the child exceeds the maximum height and weight for the booster seat
- Nine years old – Ride on a vehicle seat with a lap-shoulder belt secured correctly
Children younger than 13 should ride in a vehicle’s rear seat. Parents should read and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations and requirements for a child’s age, height, and weight.
Damages Available for Children Injured in Car Accidents in Lafayette, Louisiana
Children are entitled to the same types of damages as adults. Therefore, a child injury claim can include compensation for economic damages, including:
- Medical bills
- Future lost wages and diminished earning capacity
- Cost of personal care
- Long-term nursing care
- Rehabilitative therapies, including physical and occupational therapy
- Counseling and mental health therapy
A child is also entitled to compensation for non-economic damages. These damages include:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental anguish and emotional suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring, disfigurement, disability, and impairment
- A decrease in quality of life
Calculating the value of future damages can be challenging in a child injury case. Our legal team will consult the top financial experts and medical specialists in their fields to assist in determining the value of these damages.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Lafayette Car Crash Lawyer
Your child deserves fair compensation for the pain and suffering they experienced because of a car crash. Call Kenny Habetz Injury Law to schedule a free case assessment with a Lafayette car accident attorney. We want to help you get justice for your child.
- Can I Be Compensated For Pre-Existing Conditions After a Car Accident in Lafayette, LA?
- Lafayette Distracted Driving Accident Lawyer
- Most Dangerous Roads/Intersections in Lafayette
- Lafayette Speeding Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Statistics in Lafayette, LA
- Lafayette Hit & Run Accident Lawyer
- Airbag Injuries
- Red and Yellow Light Accidents