Every year, thousands of people are injured in Lafayette, Louisiana, car accidents. Dozens more are killed, and tens of thousands experience property damage.
If you’ve been a victim of one of these accidents, you could be entitled to compensation.
Knowing the car accident statistics in Lafayette, LA, can help you make safer decisions as a driver.
Read on to discover the latest car accident statistics and learn how you can get compensation for your injuries after a crash.
How Can an Experienced Lafayette Auto Accident Lawyer Help with My Claim?
After a car accident, you need an experienced car accident lawyer on your side. In spite of all the adorable gecko ads and catchy jingles, insurance companies are not your friend, especially after a crash. They’ll do everything they can to lowball you after the accident.
A good Lafayette, Louisiana car accident lawyer can help you recognize unfair offers and will evaluate your case to determine how much you’re actually owed in damages. When you hire Kenny Habetz Injury Law, we will:
- Gather evidence in your case, including police reports, medical records, witness statements, and more
- Calculate your damages
- Work with experts (when necessary)
- Send demand letters to the insurance companies
- Represent you in court if the insurance companies refuse to pay.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with our Lafayette car accident attorneys. Call us at (337) 399-9000.
How Common Are Car Accidents in Lafayette?
Unfortunately, crashes in Lafayette, Louisiana, happen by the dozen every day.
- In 2022, Lafayette Parish experienced 10,612 crashes. This represents a decrease from the previous year’s total of 11,717. It also means that in 2022, on average, there was more than one crash every hour in Lafayette Parish.
- Sadly, 37 of these Lafayette Parish crashes were fatal. This is the highest fatality record the parish has seen in the last fifteen years.
- Another 2,399 drivers were injured in crashes in Lafayette Parish in 2022. In addition, more than 1,000 passengers got hurt in crashes across the parish.
- So far this year, Lafayette Parish has experienced more than 650 crashes, two of which have been fatal. 154 of these crashes have resulted in injuries for Lafayette Parish citizens.
While about 73 percent of Lafayette Parish car accidents don’t cause damage, the 27 percent that do can cause dreadful injuries or even death.
Historical Lafayette Car Accident Data
Unfortunately, fatal car accidents are on the rise in Lafayette, Louisiana. The parish hit a record low of just 18 fatal crashes in 2018, but since then, the numbers have been on the rise.
2019 saw 19 fatal crashes, 2020 saw 24, and 2021 had 33. In the last five years, almost 140 citizens have died in Lafayette Parish traffic accidents.
The good news is that crashes causing injuries are decreasing in Lafayette Parish. 2021 saw the five-year high for injury crashes, with over 3,000 accidents causing a suspected 4,962 injuries. But 2020 had just over 2,500 injury crashes, and 2022 topped out at around 2,800 crashes.
Danger to Lafayette Pedestrians
Unfortunately, pedestrians are some of the most frequent victims of traffic fatalities in Lafayette, LA. Without the frame of a car to protect them, pedestrians are often much more seriously injured or killed in car crashes.
In 2022, eleven pedestrians lost their lives on the roads of Lafayette Parish. Another eleven lost their lives in 2021, and nine were killed in 2020. 2019 and 2017 saw the decade lows for pedestrian deaths, with just two pedestrians losing their lives in each of these years.
Common Causes of Accident Injuries in Lafayette, LA
Although severe weather can contribute to traffic accidents, you might be surprised to learn it’s not a common cause of crashes in Lafayette, Louisiana. In fact, about 73 percent of crashes in Lafayette Parish in 2022 took place during clear weather.
Just 7 percent of these crashes happened due to rainy conditions.
Alcohol is a much more significant contributor to accident injuries in Lafayette, LA. Five of the 37 fatal crashes in the parish in 2022 involved alcohol. And at least 117 of the suspected injury crashes in Lafayette Parish were caused by a drunk driver.
Speeding, texting while driving, distracted driving, driver fatigue, and road rage can all contribute to injury and fatal crashes in Lafayette, Louisiana, too.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for a Car Crash in Lafayette?
Louisiana uses the fault, or tort, system for determining who’s held responsible for a crash. This means that the person who caused the crash is responsible for paying for the other driver’s damages.
There are three basic types of damages a driver may be owed after an accident.
- Economic damages – These damages compensate you for losses that have an attached dollar value. This may include medical bills, ongoing costs for treatment, lost wages, loss of future earning potential, property damage, and more.
- Non-economic damages – This type of damages is meant to cover losses that don’t have a specific financial value. You may be awarded non-economic damages for pain and suffering, emotional trauma, mental anguish, scarring and disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life, and so on.
- Punitive damages – These damages are meant as a punishment for defendants who acted in an especially heinous manner during a car accident. This type of damages comes with a high burden of proof, so it’s rare to recover during a personal injury case.
Your personal injury lawyer will help you calculate every damage you’re owed and will negotiate for a full and fair settlement in your case.
Contact an Experienced Car Crash Lawyer in Lafayette
Car crashes are all too common in Lafayette, Louisiana, and every year, dozens of people are injured or killed in these accidents. If you’ve been hurt in a Lafayette car accident, you need an experienced car accident attorney on your side.
Schedule a free consultation with us today to start getting the representation you deserve.